The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Avantone Mixcube in Mono Question
Old 13th October 2013
Here for the gear

Avantone Mixcube in Mono Question

Hey There, I need help figuring this out. The outputs on my Zero 8 are stereo TRS balanced type outputs. I want to find a way to hook up one Avantone Mixcube to these in mono. My issue is I don't know what cable to use. I heard a direct box could do the trick, but is there another way? A cheaper one? Below you will find a picture that visually states my problem. HELP!

Stereo to Mono How? - Imgur
Old 13th October 2013
Do you have any ability to solder?

The two outputs should be summed into the single input. It's bad engineering practice to just connect them in parallel. The correct connection is via a pair of low value resistors to the common TRS input plug. Unfortunately, you won't find a summing cable or adapter that will do the trick. A direct box won't help.

If you can solder, it's easy.
Old 13th October 2013
Here for the gear

I do not know how to solder :( sounds like I'm screwed.
Old 13th October 2013
The circuit is very simple. The resistors are needed so the output of one channel does not drive current into the output circuit of the other channel. Outputs should never be connected together without some isolation. In this case, low value resistors are used.
Attached Thumbnails
Avantone Mixcube in Mono Question-balanced-trs-summer.jpg  
Old 13th October 2013
Here for the gear

The chart helps a lot thank you so much! Would I be taking new cables and pealing them open to do this? From what I see it is basically combining both cables together after the resistors. I might be wrong. Thank you so much anyway.
Old 13th October 2013
Although it's overkill, you can always get a passive mixer/stereo-mono summer box.

This SM Pro model has TRS balanced inputs and XLR outputs. If you set the little switch to "mono", both outputs will have the mono sum of the two stereo inputs. You can connect with a single XLR/XLR cable to your MixCube.
Old 13th October 2013
Here for the gear

By overkill you mean that the passive mixer/stereo-mono summer box is much more expensive than doing the simple soldering myself right?
Old 13th October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitphatik View Post
The chart helps a lot thank you so much! Would I be taking new cables and pealing them open to do this? From what I see it is basically combining both cables together after the resistors. I might be wrong. Thank you so much anyway.
Correct, combining two cables into one plug with the isolation resistors at the output-end of the two cables. The resistors can be connected in a small box or, if you're skilled enough inside a larger TRS plug cover.
Old 13th October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitphatik View Post
By overkill you mean that the passive mixer/stereo-mono summer box is much more expensive than doing the simple soldering myself right?
Exactly. It has capabilities that you don't need and costs about $130 (and you still need the cables to connect it all together.

1/4 watt resistors cost about 10 or 15 cents each, and you can get a decent soldering iron for $25 or $30.
Old 13th October 2013
Here for the gear

I think I might be able to ask a buddy of mine to help me with the soldering because that one Sm Pro Model thing looks a bit pricey I just hope I don't end up ruining some perfectly good cables.
Old 13th October 2013
Here for the gear

Thank you so much Lotus 7. You're great.
Old 13th October 2013
For the stereo/mono summer, you can also use a male XLR connector for the output. The advantage is the the XLR connector shell has more room inside than a TRS shell, so it's easier to fit the resistors inside. your MixCube doesn't care if you feed it through the TRS or the XLR.

If you were to use an XLR for the mono output, you would substitute the XLR pin-2 for TRS (Tip), XLR pin-3 for TRS (Ring), and XLR pin-1 for TRS (Sleeve).
Old 13th October 2013
Here for the gear

From reading Mike Senior's article on Mono Summing

Q. How does summing to mono work?

He mentions this puppy too.

Samson — C-control

Apparently it also has mono summing capabilities.
Old 13th October 2013
Yes, there are several "monitor Controllers", both active and passive. The C-Control street price is about $160.

Even more "overkill" then the SM Pro. Kinda "the tail wagging the dog".

Seriously, leanring to solder is actually pretty easy, especially if you have someone who knows what they're doing show you how.
Old 1st November 2013
Here for the gear

+1 for SM Pro M-Ptach 2
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search