The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
New Mic or Interface
Old 13th October 2013
Gear Maniac

New Mic or Interface

I was thinking should i upgrade my interface or microphone? i currently have a at3035 running into a roland quad capture. I wanted to upgrade to a forte, because i listened to it on youtube and the conversion and the sound of the mic sounded sooooooooooo much better, if i was going to upgrade to a new microphone it was gone be the at4040 but i see the 3035 has sort of the same freq response except the 4040 looked to pick a little more air, but that forte sound amazing to me!!!!
Old 13th October 2013
Here for the gear

I doubt you could hear a difference in ad/da conversion through a video on YouTube. If I were you I would keep my money until you really need something more.

Inviato dal mio HTC Desire X usando Tapatalk
Old 13th October 2013
Gear Head

I would say the VS preamps and conversion with the quad capture outweighs the quality of the microphone... Is the microphone for you or clients? If it is just for personal use - maybe borrow a few microphones if you can and do a little shootout (the best one might not be the most expensive!). For the price you are willing to part for the other interface - maybe look at a shure SM7B, rode nt2000 or maybe a decent budget ribbon like a cascade fathead. I would highly recommend trying out anything you fancy before you buy it (if possible).

Also I would agree with not trusting youtube quality when coming down to the nitty gritty business of choosing between audio equipment! Especially the detrimental effect of youtube's compression and do you know the exact recording chain/processing chain for the recording? you might be liking the sound of the recording because of the way it has been mixed! Think about every factor that will affect the end result you are looking to achieve, there are plenty of people on here willing to help you.
Old 13th October 2013
Gear Maniac

The microphone is for me. I was going to upgrade to some new monitors, and the new forte, but if I go the other route I can get a more expensive microphone, and the monitors? Which is better? I haven't really had a problem with the quad capture, I just thought upgrading the conversion will make the microphone sound better. Guess the only thing to make the microphone sound better is a new microphone lol.
Old 13th October 2013
Gear Head

The performer, recording environment, microphone choice, positioning, preamp, converters, monitoring and the acoustical environment in which you are listening - There are so many variables that will affect the sound you are hearing that I would consider all of them before deciding which gear you really should be looking to upgrade - try your microphone on a different interface, try a different mic on your current interface etc.

The preamps/conversion will certainly have an impact on the sound, and without knowing exactly what sound you want - it would be hard to determine which to recommend you change. I would say that the interface is good enough - if I had that setup I would certainly look to change the microphone before the quad-capture - but that is just my opinion and its certainly not 'right'!

Personally - I would research and test around 3 microphones before picking one (same with monitors). Outside of studios I am using a rode nt2000 through a saffire LE interface with KRK rokit rp5s - it is by no means the best equipment money can buy, but it is more than enough to produce what I need at home (I have found that being creative with what I have can provide me with professional sounding results!).
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search