The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
EXPANDER Do You?
Old 13th October 2013
Lives for gear

EXPANDER Do You?

Interesting, only if you ask a question here on Gearsluts the only place in the forum is as a Newbie.
Apart from quietening some sources or use as a gate.
Do you have any tricks you use with an Expander?
Old 31st October 2013
Lives for gear

I love chopping up a drum loop or drum machine with an aggressive expander or gate. It can drastically change the feel of the loop.
Old 31st October 2013
Lives for gear

I've a few presets/start points saved in the BlueCat dynamics plug that gets used once in a while for bass; either adding a bit of upward energy, or clearing it out in the lower end of it's dynamic swing. Both looking for more punch and/or less sustain.
I'd guess it's about a 50/50 crap shoot which tack' might actually might work better for a given track.
Old 18th November 2013
Lives for gear

Thanks for responding. I never thought to try on bass and will.
I do like the gating effect especially sidechained gating.
Old 18th November 2013
Lives for gear

If you add any midi drum samples to a live drummer, you can use the new drum as a trigger to the sidechain of the expander on the live drum. Snare for instance, the sample drum can open and close the expander for the real drum. This helps to remove hihat and other drum bleed. Works great for kick too!
Old 12th December 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.d.finley View Post
If you add any midi drum samples to a live drummer, you can use the new drum as a trigger to the sidechain of the expander on the live drum. Snare for instance, the sample drum can open and close the expander for the real drum. This helps to remove hihat and other drum bleed. Works great for kick too!
Awesome idea, it is almost an excuse to use layered samples on a kit! I know alot of Engineers producers are doing but I am still going for tone from the recorded drums.
Old 12th December 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinksdingo View Post
Awesome idea, it is almost an excuse to use layered samples on a kit! I know alot of Engineers producers are doing but I am still going for tone from the recorded drums.
Yes, it almost is a good excuse to use samples. I normally have the sample underneath the main drum sound if I have to use one and have my send pre-fader to the expanders sidechain input so these two paths can be at different levels. IE, the send to the expander higher and the sample in the drumbus lower in volume.
Of course you have to play around with the hold and release parameters to get them just right for each song.
Old 12th December 2013
Lives for gear

I use them a lot on live recorded bass guitars, kicks and low toms to keep the mix from being muddy while still allowing the low transients to poke thru.
Old 12th December 2013
Gear Maniac

Expander? I barely know her! *rimshot*

I recently tackled a mix with a huge amount of kit bleed on the snare; seriously there was inordinate amounts of hat and even bass drum on it. I duplicated my snare track: one was high and low passed to tame the hat and kick bleed, the other was gated just to the tippy top of the snare hit. I boosted the bottom end and a little bit of top to the gated hit and mixed it against the high/low passed snare and I got a natural sounding hit without raising the entire track and throwing my balance off from all the bleed.

The track alone was too difficult to gate traditionally because of the volume of the hats.

Last edited by KissMyRobot; 18th December 2013 at 03:38 AM.. Reason: spelling
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search