The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Finished Mixing, THEN Lowering Volume On Each Track
Old 12th October 2013
Finished Mixing, THEN Lowering Volume On Each Track

Hey guys! I'm not sure where to put this post because I dont see a section on mixing, but anyways,

*I master on the same project that I mix on*

I finished doing a mix for this girl. This mix has so many tracks. I finished mixing them, but I'm having a problem mastering because the mix is too loud.

I feel like if I lower every track, it will mess up all my mixing.

Is this true?

What should I do?
Old 12th October 2013
Quickest way, lower the master fader.

For the future, learn about gain staging.
Old 12th October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender412 View Post
Quickest way, lower the master fader.
I forgot to mention that I master on the same project as my mix. So if I don't like something from one track in the end, I can adjust that certain track.
Old 12th October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by GerardCB View Post
I forgot to mention that I master on the same project as my mix. So if I don't like something from one track in the end, I can adjust that certain track.
You can still lower the master fader for THIS time only, in the future, I strongly suggest reading about proper gain staging in the digital domain! Your analog modeling, compressor/gate, distortion, and some effect units will act differently depending on how you drive them.

You say: "This mix has so many tracks".... 75-100, I'm assuming? Have you pared things down, bounced to groups?

If you take EVERYTHING (not groups or post-fader aux sends) and reduce them all by -6, -12, -18, etc (multiples of 6) then mathematically you are reducing by an equal ratio, but some will say it sounds different....and depending on your plugins, it absolutely will. For example, did you write automation? Prepare to redo all of it. Same with compressor thresholds! Seriously, just reduce the master fader, and bring the volume back up with whatever limiter you're going to use....be sure to leave some headroom in case you need to EQ pre-brickwall but post-compressor.

Good luck.
Old 13th October 2013
Lives for gear
Just put a trim/gain plug on the master before other plugs and reduce volume at the INPUT of the master bus.
Old 13th October 2013
S-O
Here for the gear

If it is too loud, is it really done?

Your mix may benefit from a redo, with this round having proper headroom at the end a focus.

Also, consider instead of mixing stuff loud, turn up your monitors. Then you are monitoring your mix at the volume you are accustomed to, yet ITB your are still at decent levels!
Old 13th October 2013
Gear Addict

Assuming you haven't bussed anything and If you are mixing in pro tools, you can turn on a group called "All" or select all the tracks and group them. (Command + G) (Command Shift G turns all grouping on or off)

If you've bussed things, make sure you grab the bus instead, and not the individual tracks sending to that bus.

Then you can drag all your tracks down. UNLESS you've written automation.

Next method

If you have an open plugin spot on all those tracks/busses you can use the "trim" plugin (as the last plugin) and easily duplicate it onto each track/bus using option drag or command option drag, one of those...

The important thing here is to not place any trim before an input gain of a compressor. Take note of the amount of Gain Reduction on your master fader's comps/limiters and readjust after you turn everything down.

Good Luck.

Oh yeah, before you **** everything up, why not save a copy of your session and name it something like session_trimtest
Old 13th October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by S-O View Post
If it is too loud, is it really done?

Your mix may benefit from a redo, with this round having proper headroom at the end a focus.

Also, consider instead of mixing stuff loud, turn up your monitors. Then you are monitoring your mix at the volume you are accustomed to, yet ITB your are still at decent levels!
Take this lesson to heart....keep levels sensible and on the conservative side, and you will suddenly find that everything sounds much better!
Nice post, S-O!

Feel free to PM me if you want some personalized help. I'm free tomorrow afternoon for a few hours as well as much of Monday.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search