The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Portfolio building, advice & free services!
Old 12th October 2013
Here for the gear

Portfolio building, advice & free services!

Hey ladies and gents,

So I finished uni recently and stuck in the same rut as many, to progress further (internships, freelancing etc.) I need a bigger portfolio. I recorded a killer band in uni which has turned out well in terms of showing off skill but besides this i only have a fairly average singer / songwriter style track. Which leaves me 2 tracks to send out which i'm not too happy about!

As many offer on here if you have a project your working on and need someone to mix & master your work in exchange for me using it on my portfolio then get in touch!

If any of you old timers out there have any advice for a young engineer trying to break the industry then it'll be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Sim
Old 12th October 2013
Gear Addict

Get a normal job! The only people from my university who are working as professional engineers / producers now are the ones who were already doing it when at university.

If you're struggling to find free clients, how do you think you'll find paid ones?

There are people with portfolios the size of telephone directories who can't get a gig.

There are some industries in the world that are really taking off right now and will be massive money makers for long to come. You could join one of them and live a comfortable life, or join a dying industry because you think it will be fun.

And frankly let me assure you once you actually do it 5 days a week, the fun wears off.

I hope this doesn't come across as upsetting news to you but it's just the way it is. See if you can do a bit of production in your spare time, and maybe eventually you will be finding enough to make it your full time job. But this is the real world we're in and if you've just finished uni, you need to be getting straight on it as far as finding a proper career goes.

Plenty of my friends made the mistake of trying to 'make it', eventually they ran out of money, took the first job they could find which covered the rent, and now work in call centres, admin jobs and shops. At least those who made the realisation early on got a second stab at finding a worthwhile career.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search