The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Trombone recording Condenser Microphones
Old 4th September 2013
Gear interested

Question Trombone recording

I have a basic low-end setup - Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 interface and just a few inexpensive mics (SM 58/57, Blue Spark, AT4040 ... scheduled to add a trombone part to a song. I'm thinking go with the 57 and 58. Not sure where to best place the mic - any suggestions appreciated.

Last edited by Riversider; 4th September 2013 at 11:58 AM.. Reason: Nothing written yet!
Old 4th September 2013
Lives for gear

On brass, I would personally skip the dynamics and go with a ribbon. BUT... that's not your question.

Trombone is not as bright as say trumpet. So you could get a little closer, but I'd probably start in the 3-feet away range, with the trombonist just off axis. You may get a little closer depending on the genre, keeping distance for a traditional trombone sound, and getting closer if you are wanting an in-your-face trombone with a little breakup distortion. The potential problem with dynamics in this situation is that you may lose the benefit of their proximity effect b/c you are so far out. I prefer a ribbon for this reason b/c it is naturally LPF'd in most circumstances (but not all ribbons are like this, some are very flat, for a ribbon).
Old 4th September 2013
Lives for gear

The room is super-important for brass as horns def light up the room acoustically.

Find the biggest room you can, option b is the deadest room you can get away with.

Trombones close mic'ed sound goofy but a trombone in a relatively dead room mic'ed far enough away can make up for less-than impeccable tone can work.
Old 5th September 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Trombones close mic'ed sound goofy
You're right! In the right context, though, it totally works. Check this out:

TWO POSTS BELOW:

Last edited by LoFi_By_Choice; 10th September 2013 at 07:24 PM.. Reason: got youtube to work, thanks DonSolo!
Old 5th September 2013
Lives for gear

Last edited by LoFi_By_Choice; 5th September 2013 at 11:36 AM..
Old 5th September 2013
Lives for gear

Click the YouTube icon and paste the characters after v=
Old 5th September 2013
Lives for gear

Thanks.
Enjoy!
Old 19th February 2014
Gear interested

Thanks everyone. Mission accomplished. I got what I needed and appreciate the comments!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search