The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How to get this 80s piano sound by Tears For Fears?
Old 25th August 2013
Here for the gear

How to get this 80s piano sound by Tears For Fears?

Apologies if this is in the wrong section, there's so many places and I don't know where best to put it.

Does anyone know how I can get the main piano sound of Tears For Fears - Head Over Heels something close with Ableton?

Edit: Embedded link doesn't seem to work. Tears For Fears - Head Over Heels - YouTube
Old 25th August 2013
Familiar with this one. One of my fav 80's tunes. Donny Darko anyone?

Sounds like a grand piano of sorts. Probably more a matter of adding some attack with transient design and just the right touch of reverb.

I have the piano stuff in Logic's EXS and the Total Piano pack with Nexus2. They are okay. I've been looking around at getting some better piano access. Ivory seems like overkill.

Here is the discussion:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/elect...o-strings.html
Old 25th August 2013
Hey LeeR,

It sounds to me (as I'm sure you also hear) that there is a piano sound layered with some other synth tones. For the piano, I'd start with either a Logic VI, or if you have it, a Native Instruments piano (The Giant or Alicia's Keys). Then, mess around with some different layers that can give it the feel you're looking for!

Let me know if that helps at all!

-Dean
Old 25th August 2013
Gear Guru

a piano modeler and some FM synth for he Tac sound would be where I'd look. not sure what Live has in those departments.
Old 27th August 2013
Here for the gear

I'm not sure I understand what people wrote.. - "FM synth for he Tac"? "Logic VI"? But thanks for the help.

I should say that I'm a total noob at getting sounds. The only thing I have for tweaking sounds (and I don't know how to really do it) seems to be Ableton. I have other standalone things like True Pianos and a Imperfect Samples Ebony Concert Grand, but these don't sound like it at all.

But I found this video.. How To Play Tears For Fears - Head Over Heels - YouTube Is there any way to get these libraries or whatever they're called for this workstation and use them on PC? He's nailed that tone.
Old 28th August 2013
Gear Head

demo this and find a piano preset:

http://www.korg.com/Legacym1

put on some ableton chorus (native effect), or this:

TAL - Togu Audio Line: TAL-Chorus-LX

profit.

Good luck!

Luigi
Old 29th August 2013
Gear Nut

The piano is layer obviously. The main piano sounds like those midi piano layer with pads, voices, bells. The M1 from Korg M50 Workstation and you might find one in the Roland JV1080.

But as mention above, the Korg M1 plugin should get you started ok.

I have the Korg M50 and I love it!
Old 29th August 2013
Lives for gear

off topic, but: Probably my favorite bassline of all time
Old 29th August 2013
Lives for gear

Hi!

Check out the Yamaha CP-80 / 70 sound. That was a very popular stage piano back in the days, which was used by really a lot of artists. It had a distinctive tone. I believe there are lots of soft emulations out there these days. Classic and classy. You might as well check out the piano break in Simple minds' "Alive and kicking" as a reference.
Old 6th September 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeR View Post
Apologies if this is in the wrong section, there's so many places and I don't know where best to put it.

Does anyone know how I can get the main piano sound of Tears For Fears - Head Over Heels something close with Ableton?

Edit: Embedded link doesn't seem to work. Tears For Fears - Head Over Heels - YouTube
From Memory (And an old 8 Inch Floppy Drive) From a .......Long time ago!
That's a Fairlight CMI Series 3 Piano Sound and
Yamaha DX7 Tyne Piano Mixed to taste!
Both W/ a Touch of Lexicon 224XL Reverb!

Shouldn't be to hard to re-create! Good luck!
Old 7th September 2013
Here for the gear

Thanks everyone for replies. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to even get demos or anything that could do these sounds, so I still haven't got there yet. But I'll give it another go during the week when I'm off work.
Old 8th September 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeR View Post

"The uploader has not made this video available in your country." I'm in the US, so I don't get that very often.

Anyway. To embed video, you use just the code. The stuff after the "v=" inside the YouTube tag here. For example:

Pete
Old 8th September 2013
Gear Head

I too was going to say JV1080, or 2080 and/or Korg M1
Old 8th September 2013
Lives for gear

Here's an article where they talk about their workflow and instruments:

Classic Tracks: Tears for Fears' "Everybody Wants to Rule the World"
Old 9th September 2013
Lives for gear

From the Link Above:

Tears For Fears
"Songs From the Big Chair"
Classic Tracks:
Mix Magazine:

Seems as though much of the Album was recorded in a Pro 80's Home Studio more so when recording everybody want's to rule the world.

Quote:"The newly expanded home studio included a 32-channel Soundcraft console, a 24-track analog tape machine and room for the band's keyboard and synthesizer collection, which included such classic designs as Sequential Circuits Prophet 5, Fairlight CMI, Roland Jupiter 8, Yamaha DX7 synthesizer and PPG Wave. They also had a LinnDrum LM-2, another recent acquisition".
Old 10th September 2013
Here for the gear

Well, I got to play with this KORG M1 program and it's good. Thanks for this. There's some combi presets built-in and it gets the sound quite well just from that. It even does adds the chorus.
๐Ÿ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
๐Ÿ–จ๏ธ Show Printable Version
โœ‰๏ธ Email this Page
๐Ÿ” Search thread
๐ŸŽ™๏ธ View mentioned gear