The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
aux sends on A&H mixwizard for effects?
Old 24th August 2013
Gear interested

aux sends on A&H mixwizard for effects?

Hi all, hoping to get some help regarding patching effects on an Allen & Heath Mixwizard WZ3 16:2

I picked this mixer up recently, hoping to use it for tracking and mixing on in my home studio. I've just gotten around to hooking it up to my interface and monitors but I cant seem to figure out how to use the aux sends for outboard reverbs/delays etc. This is the first mixer I've owned and I haven't had a lot of experience using one previously so it's been a pretty steep learning curve...

The mixer has one TRS balanced jack socket for each Aux, no separate returns.
I don't actually have any outboard effects at the moment so i'm running an insert cable (TRS to 2xTS) into the input and output of a guitar pedal, but not getting anything when I turn up the corresponding aux knob on the fader.

I have tried using the same method on the inserts and do get some signal but it's much quieter than the original signal.

Could it be that I'm using the wrong kind of cable or something?

It's got me stumped so any help would be really appreciated!

Here's the description of the Aux outputs from manual:

AUX OUT 1-6 Each aux send is available on an impedance balanced TRS jack operating at -2dBu line level. An internal option is available to fit a balanced line driver IC to provide an electronically balanced output operating at +4dBu. Note that it is not usual to require this option as the impedance balanced standard drive provides significant interference rejection when feeding balanced equipment inputs.
The aux sends are typically used to feed stage monitors, effects devices such as reverb and delay, and for special mix requirements.
Old 24th August 2013
The AUX is just a balanced send. It's not an "Insert" jack.

A "Insert" jack is a connector with both an unbalanced output (on the TIP) and an unbalanced input (on the RING). An AUX jack has a balanced output only (+ signal polarity on the TIP and - signal polarity on the RING).

An "Insert" cable should never be used on a balanced AUX output jack.

Your mixer does have "Insert" jacks on each channel and those have unity gain. The insert cable should work fine there as long as your external processor is set up for unity gain and has the capability of driving a "line" input. The AH bock diagram shows the "Insert" jacks as directly connected. If you are using a proper insert cable any reduction in signal level is occurring in your external device.

A guitar pedal is designed to drive a high Impedance guitar input, NOT a med/low impedance Insert return. Insert returns should only be connected to low-Z "line" outputs from active processors like compressors. EQ's or reverbs, not guitar pedals. It's not that you're using the wrong cable on the "Insert" jack, you're using the wrong type of external device.

Your AH WZ3 16:2 has (6) AUX sends (configurable pre/post fader)and (2) balanced Stereo Effects Returns on separate jacks for L & R. Another way way to connect an external processor is to feed it from an AUX output with a balanced TRS/TRS cable and then return its output through either one mono/L return jack with a single TRS/TRS balanced cable or (if it has a stereo output like some reverbs) via a pair or balanced TRS cables to both the Return jacks. In no case should a "Insert" cable be used on the AUX outs or the stereo Returns.

Again, this is not a place to try to connect a guitar pedal, only active processors with low output-Z.
Your AH Mixwizard WZ3 16:2 does not have any High-Z guitar inputs suitable for connection of a guitar pedal.
Old 24th August 2013
Gear interested

Ah right. So how would I get the processed signal back into the mixer?
Old 24th August 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrimpy View Post
Ah right. So how would I get the processed signal back into the mixer?
Your mixer does not have any inputs that will work directly with the output from a guitar pick up or a guitar pedal.

If you want to use the pedal on one channel, a possible option is to use a high impedance passive Direct box and feed its output to another mic input channel.

Channel -1 "Insert" out to guitar pedal TS input (connect nothing to the "Insert" return plug)
Guitar pedal 1/4 inch TS out to Direct Box 1/4 inch TS input (using a unbalanced TS/TS cable)
Direct Box XLR output to Channel-2 XLR mic input (use a standard mic cable)

Channel-1 is used only as a mic pre and channel-2 then becomes your active track for gain and panning

That will give you the proper (high) impedance load for the guitar pedal and will give you plenty of gain.
Old 24th August 2013
Lives for gear
Most rack effects units are 1/4" unbalanced. Aux outs can use regular TS cables as well.

ST1 or ST2 are stereo or mono returns to the main mix.
Usually a channel line input is used as a return and adds the ability to EQ and or send that effect to another aux if effects are desired to be sent to a monitor mix as well.

Make sure effects aux is off on the return channel or you'll get a loop by sending the effect back to itself.
Old 24th August 2013
Lives for gear

The answers to your question are to be found in the USER MANUAL, available online in PDF form by Googling "Mixwizard 16 2 manual".

Page 14.

RTFM
Old 24th August 2013
Aw ca'mon. Chill out.
This is a Newbie Questions Forum. Probably 95% of the questions asked here could be answered by reading the manual. That's not going to stop anyone from asking.
Old 24th August 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus 7 View Post
Aw ca'mon. Chill out.
This is a Newbie Questions Forum. Probably 95% of the questions asked here could be answered by reading the manual. That's not going to stop anyone from asking.
I'm happy to teach noobs how to solve their problems. Part of that is teaching them to RTFM, sort of like "teach a man to fish...". The acronym is somewhat rude, I'll admit, but it is ubiquitous.

You should relax when someone says it and not get your undies bunched.
Old 25th August 2013
Gear interested

Thanks guys, got it working and I understand a lot more than I did last night! Much appreciated.
Old 25th August 2013
Lives for gear

Good for you. One little thing at a time and your knowledge base will grow and grow. The thing is to learn to think like an engineer, to not assume anything until proven, to isolate problems so they can be properly addressed and NEVER ASSUME WITHOUT PROOF.

Enjoy the Wiz. They're great boards.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search