The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Signal strength/chain help
Old 27th February 2013
  #1
Lives for gear
 
Kyleseglin's Avatar
Signal strength/chain help

Hi all I have a question. I'm recording a vocal with the following signal chain:

Beesneez Arabella>Manley tube pre>distressor>ua apollo>logic

I have the pre at 47.5 db gain and it's fully attenuated. The distressor is at Input-5
Attack-5
Release-4
Output-7

My question is.. Is the distressor output setting a bit high? And also the distressor seems like it's compressing a lot the light meter is getting 2 lights short of full.. Is this okay? It's for a rap vocal
Old 27th February 2013
  #2
Lives for gear
 
skillz335's Avatar
how does it sound?
on a side note I want a distressor. wikked guitars..
Old 27th February 2013
  #3
Hey Kyle..

Can you monitor your input level on the Apollo...

I am not a logic user, but I assume there is a mixer GUI? Or a way to monitor your level coming in...a meter?

Do you have a level that you normally record at? Meaning into Logic...

The output of your Distressor is just for adding gain that you took out during the compression process. But the last stage is the gain in your Apollo...so the Distressor output gain is not such a big deal....

My DAW level is always -6 but some platinum level producers advocate as low as -12...the theory is that you have more head room for plug-ins...and also that there is no reason to drive a higher level going into the box....

It's great that you are considering all this, gain staging = very important to get right...

tik

lemme nough
Old 27th February 2013
  #4
Lives for gear
 
Kyleseglin's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixtiksix View Post
Hey Kyle..

Can you monitor your input level on the Apollo...

I am not a logic user, but I assume there is a mixer GUI? Or a way to monitor your level coming in...a meter?

Do you have a level that you normally record at? Meaning into Logic...

The output of your Distressor is just for adding gain that you took out during the compression process. But the last stage is the gain in your Apollo...so the Distressor output gain is not such a big deal....

My DAW level is always -6 but some platinum level producers advocate as low as -12...the theory is that you have more head room for plug-ins...and also that there is no reason to drive a higher level going into the box....

It's great that you are considering all this, gain staging = very important to get right...

tik

lemme nough
Hey man thanks for the reply-- Yeah I monitor through apollo.. Though I don't love it? I like the zero latency but that's about it.

So when you say your daw is at -6 you mean the overall output or the Individual tracks

I have no set anything yet because i got most of my gear recently and I'm learning to use it still
Old 27th February 2013
  #5
Lives for gear
 
Kyleseglin's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by skillz335 View Post
how does it sound?
on a side note I want a distressor. wikked guitars..
It sounds good man. I tried it all through a 610 first and it was a little too muddy for me.

Distressor is cool so far I got it recently. There is a lot of stuff going on in that thing probably more than I need/want honestly
Old 27th February 2013
  #6
Cool...

What I meant was...the input do your DAW software, Logic...

You should have an input meter...to monitor the incoming level from the Apollo...I am also guessing that the Apollo has a GUI-Graphical interface on the computer as well....

Monitoring with the Apollo is great...although I haven't worked with an Apollo or logic...

I don't know if you have a mixer that you could add into the equation but as time goes on this could be very helpful...

Before I go any further though..are we on the same page with the Logic input meter...

Just for the sake of this thread, while recording if you could get a level of some signal coming in at -6...

Hope this makes sense, if not let me know....

And don't forget to have fun...it's difficult in the beginning...

tik
Old 27th February 2013
  #7
Sorry, reread your post I mean the individual tracks coming in....-6
Old 27th February 2013
  #8
Also, the input level into the individual Logic tracks should be adjusted by the Apollo...
Old 27th February 2013
  #9
Lives for gear
 
Kyleseglin's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixtiksix View Post
Also, the input level into the individual Logic tracks should be adjusted by the Apollo...
I like the apollo and I like monitoring through it for the sake of zero latency but it feels more complicated I was used to using logic to monitor.

Do you mean just the input meter for incoming signal on a particular track?
Old 27th February 2013
  #10
Lives for gear
 
Kyleseglin's Avatar
Really appreciate your help thank you again
Old 27th February 2013
  #11
Yeah bro...that is what I mean...the individual track coming into the computer in Logic....

BTW was at the studio all night and it is not 10:46 AM...I am not long for this world....almost sleepy time...
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump