The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
start off
Old 27th November 2012
Here for the gear

start off

Hi all,
I am after some advice on a very simple set up.
Using imac for itunes and would like to play/mix itunes tracks with vinyl and cd's through a mixer. I have Phonic 808 sound card , a basic stanton mixer and a couple of technics turntables, whats the best way to set up so i can switch channels on mixer between imac, turntable and cd players and how does the phonic fit in to all of this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Old 27th November 2012
Hello,

This is not my area of expertise, so take what I have to say with a grain of salt.

Running everything from you mixer which (I imagine?) only has 4 stereo inputs and a mic input, will not be sufficient to run everything, since you have:

Turntable #1: 2 stereo outs
Turntable #2: 2 stereo outs
CD player #1: 2 stereo outs
CD player #2?: 2 stereo outs
Imac: 2 stereo outs

As I see it, you need:
a) A larger mixer with more channels
b) To change your "master controller"

To save $$$, I'd use your CPU. Your phonic 808 can handle the job, so I would just run everything through that into your computer and use a mixing program to handle everything. Which, program to use is another discussion, and again not my specialty.

I personally have a 16 channel mixing board, in which I do live electronic music. I don't run things through a CPU and just bring ye ol' faders for different parts, which is quasi-similar to what you are doing. For me this is a more potentially error-free route with less moving parts.

Just my 3 (yes 3!) cents...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search