The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Stereo vs mono bass ... how is it done? Modular Synthesizers
Old 9th April 2012
Gear interested

Stereo vs mono bass ... how is it done?

I'd like to know what is considered typical practice regarding bass. I've heard comments from time to time like "bass is mixed mono below 100 Hz." In the context of mainstream movies and music, is there really a standard practice? I'm not too concerned about what a small niche might do, but what the majority.

Here is the context. I'm working on an article on bass integration for 2 channel and HT systems. If the bass is summed mono below 100 Hz, but stereo above 100 Hz then the mains can smooth each other out in bass response below 100 Hz, but not above. Hence they need to be measured individually above 100 Hz.
Old 9th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Spencer View Post
I'd like to know what is considered typical practice regarding bass. I've heard comments from time to time like "bass is mixed mono below 100 Hz." In the context of mainstream movies and music, is there really a standard practice? I'm not too concerned about what a small niche might do, but what the majority.

Here is the context. I'm working on an article on bass integration for 2 channel and HT systems. If the bass is summed mono below 100 Hz, but stereo above 100 Hz then the mains can smooth each other out in bass response below 100 Hz, but not above. Hence they need to be measured individually above 100 Hz.
as far as i know it depends for what kind of record carrier and which kind of music it is for! for example a rock production just for vinyl is definitely mono <100 hz...i would guess its mono far above 100 hz!...

i ve heard techno cd's where some parts of the bass in the 70-100 hz range were still stereo...

i believe there is no rule of thumb...like always many reasons influencing the decision...
Old 9th April 2012
Lives for gear

The first thing to grasp is that there is a difference between a stereo bass, as in it is panned and a stereo bass as in wide.

Pan the mono bass anywhere you choose but if you create a wide bass sound, say with chorus then you need to make sure the lows <125 are mono, or better still have no chorus on them.

Easy way to do this is to copy the bass, leave one clean and the other with the chorus on (100% wet) then use a high pass filter around 200 or blend where it sounds good. Check the stereo on a scope... solo and in the mix....

I dont use this but many do, its very good quick fix for samples and mixing.

NuGen Audio Monofilter – Transparent Bass Enhancer Plugin VST & AU

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search