The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Seeking out a VST 'clipper' (?) plugin
Old 19th January 2012
Here for the gear

Seeking out a VST 'clipper' (?) plugin

I'm just trying to find a specific plugin for cubase that helps me reduce transient attacks to the same level, do you know what I mean?

this is a snare drum track that i'm looking to trigger with slate trigger. it's a bit of a pain controlling all the different peaks though - without any compression I want to reduce all of the peaks from where the red lines are to where the green lines are so that the harder snares are reduced to the lowest hit. Just simply cutting off the the tops of the louder ones (that exceed the green line) and reducing them to the same volume as the lower ones...

I've seen a screenshot of a plugin before, universally named a 'clipper' or something, and the plugin showed the waveform like the picture above and you could choose what level to cut off the transient attacks, with no compression involved. I've tried doing this with a limiter and it doesn't really cut it, it just makes the whole track quieter or horribly compressed

(I hope this is making sense, I'm a little off when it comes to audio lingo)

Please help as this would help me immensely.

Thanks,
Geeorj
Old 19th January 2012
Gear Maniac

What you're describing is a brickwall limiter. Brickwall limiting is essentially the same thing as clipping, though it doesn't sound quite as bad.

That track should work fine as-is with Trigger however. The transients are clearly visible. Have you tried adjusting the threshold and retrigger settings in Trigger?

Jason
Old 19th January 2012
Here for the gear

I think what you're looking for is something like GClip

if you want to download it here is the link:
GVST - GClip
Old 20th January 2012
Here for the gear

Thanks for your responses guys. I downloaded the GClip and it's working wonders thanks. Will deffo look into brickwall limiting too.
Old 20th January 2012
Lives for gear

Zoom in on the transient. Select that region then split the wave File. The square in the middle of the split is the volume control for that clip. Drag it down. Manually turning down each transient would be my choice.
Sent from my PC36100 using Gearslutz.com
Old 10th March 2012
Lives for gear

Huh.

Silly me, I never thought of doing it manually, for the few spikes I'm looking at tonight.

The brickwall limiters I've tried just don't seem to be fast enough....

LP

Old 10th March 2012
Gear Maniac

You can also try using two simple "gain" plugins - insert them one after the other. On the second, set your gain to -0.1dB, and then start cranking the first one until you get the amount of clipping you want. That does a good job of snipping of transients, although there is not much visual feedback... gotta go by ear! I do it a lot in both Pro Tools and Logic, it works a charm on snare.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search