The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Bassline Problems... Studio Headphones
Old 10th December 2011
Here for the gear

Bassline Problems...

Hey guys-

Ive been working on some deep house productions, everything in the track is fine (percussion, synths, pads etc) but im having bassline problems. Ive been using abletons operator to make my basslines. Ive been making sine basslines for my main bassline and sub bass. In my sennheiser hd 25's the bassline sounds fat but on other sound systems (dj speakers, other monitors) the bassline is more or less none existent. Why is this ? Does it have something to do with sine bass only being good for subs ? Just need some advice - thank you !
Old 10th December 2011
Lives for gear

Well, you should cut the frequencies of the bass at around 30 hz and lower. This should clean up your bass. Cutting the frequencies would make you basslines seem louder over speakers and there would still be plenty of low end with your headphones.
Old 10th December 2011
You mean non-existent in your room? If you havent tested elsewhere, it could be cancellation from poor acoustics if you hear it in the phones but not on your monitors.
Old 10th December 2011
Lives for gear

The HD-25's have pretty hefty bass response, the fact that it's more prominent on those means you will shove it down in the mix. Try mixing on a system with much less bass, see if you can get it to work!

The other issue is that sine bass lines only work on a single frequency which a system may or may not be able to reproduce, which means you basicly hear it or you don't in some situations. Having a heafty LPF track a triangle or square will give you some upper partials without changing the timbre too heavily!
Old 11th December 2011
Here for the gear

Thanks guys...really appreciate the advice ! Jazz Noise, What your saying is very interesting about the sine basslines working on a single frequency. Also could you explain what you mean 'having a hefty LPF track' and using a triangle or sine wave ? Im guessing you mean triangle or square wave for the main bassline and keep the sub a sine wave ?
Old 11th December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by e1223 View Post
Thanks guys...really appreciate the advice ! Jazz Noise, What your saying is very interesting about the sine basslines working on a single frequency. Also could you explain what you mean 'having a hefty LPF track' and using a triangle or sine wave ? Im guessing you mean triangle or square wave for the main bassline and keep the sub a sine wave ?
He means filtering a triangle or square wave with a low pass filter where the cutoff would track the keyboard.
Old 12th December 2011
Here for the gear

Rogue Ai, Could you explain what 'where the cutoff would track the keyboard' means ? Thank you
Old 12th December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Rogue Ai, Could you explain what 'where the cutoff would track the keyboard' means ? Thank you
Do you know anything about synthesis?
Old 12th December 2011
Here for the gear

Yes but I dont understand Keyboard tracking completely.
Old 12th December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes but I dont understand Keyboard tracking completely.
You know how pitch tracks the keyboard right? Lower keys have a lower pitch and higher keys have a higher pitch. The same goes for the frequency of the filter's cutoff.
Old 12th December 2011
Here for the gear

Ahh yes ! I understand... Thanks !
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search