The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Individual dynamics or just on the master? Studio Headphones
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

Individual dynamics or just on the master?

I recently started making a practice track, a track that, while will be the foundation for my first track, purely exists as a way of testing out my DAW (I'm using Logic Studio), its tools, and my other plug-ins.

One of the things that I've been doing is using dynamic modifiers, such as EQs, limiters, and compressors, on individual channels. I've done this to see if I could "suss out" how dynamics work. I've been using mostly the presets, though I do on occasion modify said presets just to see how things sound.

What I wonder is this: is it better to use the dynamics modifiers like a compressor on the master channel, or is using it on individual parts the right way to do that sort of thing?

Another question: what is the consensus on using iZotope Ozone? I've seen threads about multi-band compression (and how its not necessary), so is Ozone seen as bad? Also, is it seen as a better tool than the Logic plug-ins, or is Ozone just a more complete tool while the individual plug-ins in Logic are just many pieces to one whole?
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by djshire View Post
One of the things that I've been doing is using dynamic modifiers, such as EQs, limiters, and compressors, on individual channels. I've done this to see if I could "suss out" how dynamics work. I've been using mostly the presets, though I do on occasion modify said presets just to see how things sound.
EQ's don't affect dynamics (well, unless they're in front of something that does...)
Quote:
What I wonder is this: is it better to use the dynamics modifiers like a compressor on the master channel, or is using it on individual parts the right way to do that sort of thing?
it is better to do both. to get sexy/sweet/solid signals at all stages you should be doing both. as Dave Pensado says, you shouldn't leave all the heavy lifting for one compressor.
Quote:
Another question: what is the consensus on using iZotope Ozone? I've seen threads about multi-band compression (and how its not necessary), so is Ozone seen as bad? Also, is it seen as a better tool than the Logic plug-ins, or is Ozone just a more complete tool while the individual plug-ins in Logic are just many pieces to one whole?
i think the slutz are down on people just using the presets instead of actually honing the details and actively working to make it soundbetter. (mindlessly using presets = lame + sounds stupid)
Old 19th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Eq may add to how a compressor responds using a desser as an example, but limpyloo is correct, eq deals with tone, while compressors deal with dynamics ( soft/loud). Listen to the individual tracks and find out if the tone is what you want it, if not eq to taste. Are the dynamic levels where you want them, if they are, leave it alone. If they need compression use compression. Compression can be used for tonal character as well. After you deal with the individual tracks, then address the mix. There are times when a bus compressor is what is needed, other times not. Your ears must be the judge of that. Dealing with Ozone - it is very powerful. Meaning that it can do a lot - good and bad. If you know what you doing, a little bit goes a long way. If you don't know what you are doing, things get messy real quick!
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

I'd say focus on understanding eq and memorizing the frequencies where things live. That's probly the most important part of building a really good mix. If you get things eq'd right and get the levels set, you're 90% of the way there. Everything else is pretty easy.

Compression comes later in the learning process. I compress individual instruments, and occasionally busses within the mix. I leave master buss compression to the mastering engineer. If I am mastering it, I don't add master buss compression until I am mastering (i.e. a set of mixes are complete and I am mastering the whole project).
Old 20th September 2011
THere are also some great resources right here to help you get started.
Instead of just visiting the forums here, try clicking on "gearslutz.com" instead at the top of the page (to the left of "the forums") and you will see so much advice it will take from now until the end of days to go through it all.
There are some very clever people here....make use of their wisdom!
Old 20th September 2011
Gear Head

Ozone is an extremely powerful set of tools. In the right hands they can give a mix that little something extra. However, if you're just starting out, it's very easy to make things sound worse.

The thing about presets is that they were made in a different room by a different person using different source material than you. Unless you can replicate the conditions the preset was made in, it probably won't sound exactly how you want. It will get you in the ballpark, but you'll have to tweak it to make sound right for your piece.

I agree with Dr. Mordo about learning "where things live" in the frequency spectrum. This is an essential skill for any engineer worth his or her salt.
Old 13th October 2011
Here for the gear

I used in the past Ozone, and I never had a good results. It sound too digital to me..... of course is a very powerful tool, but as I said .....is too digital......

about compression my experience tells that's better share compression on there is the need of..... then I use limiting on bus master.....almost every time, regard to the music material.....( for example, i'll tend to not use on contemporary music..or orchestral..) and there is a reason that push me to act like this.....: if i'm the mixer, i've to decide how the mix sounds.....not the mastering engineer.....of course in the total respect of the mastering step....
Old 13th October 2011
Lives for gear
If you are trying to get a handle on how it all works then dont put anything on the master buss. It is just going to make things harder to hear.
As others have said it may be wise to steer clear of compression altogether and concentrate on learning EQ first
Old 22nd October 2011
Lives for gear

So here it is, very unfinished, but "done", and only EQ'd
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search