The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Firewire Digital Mixer Question Control Surfaces
Old 18th September 2011
Here for the gear

Firewire Digital Mixer Question

Hey plebs, I'm in the market for a Firewire audio interface with 16 channels controlled by 16 faders, basically i have 15 Synths/drum machines and i want to have them all digitally converted from analog into my DAW (Cubase 5) These are a couple that i have in mind:

Yamaha 01V O1V digital mixer + MY8AT ADAT card

Helix Board 24 FireWire - Mixer

Are these little nuggets going to fit the bill ? Any other suggestions ?
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

Just a thought, but aren't many synths/drum machines stereo out? Maybe some of the older late 80's/early 90's units are mono, but most that I've seen have stereo out. So if you ran 15 synths/DM's that were stereo, you would need 30 channels. Unless you are just planning on running them all mono?? Just a consideration when planning..

Howie J
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by omikron808 View Post
Hey plebs, I'm in the market for a Firewire audio interface with 16 channels controlled by 16 faders, basically i have 15 Synths/drum machines and i want to have them all digitally converted from analog into my DAW (Cubase 5) These are a couple that i have in mind:

Allen & Heath ZEDR16 would be another...it's actually 18 channels of A/D not including ADAT
Old 18th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by omikron808 View Post

Do you expect to have full read/write automation on the faders for this firewire device? If not, I'd say find a used Tascam US-2400 if you can find one and then pick up a Presonus Firestudio and a Presonus Digimax D8. That'll give you 16 channels of very good Audio I/O plus a control surface for under $1800 total. If your control surface fails, your audio I/O doesn't and vis versa.

You can get other audio I/O hardware by Tascam, for instance, that's USB Based and a lot less expensive. The hardest thing to find will be a control surface that's reliable and inexpensive. The US-2400 used to be rock solid and should still work with any modern applications that'll follow Mackie Control protocols.
Old 19th September 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Allen & Heath ZEDR16 would be another...it's actually 18 channels of A/D not including ADAT
Im sorry for bumpin in... Is it possible to mix DAW tracks whit ZEDs analog channels only by firewire connection? I read something, but I'm not sure?
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by aywann View Post
Im sorry for bumpin in... Is it possible to mix DAW tracks whit ZEDs analog channels only by firewire connection? I read something, but I'm not sure?
Sure that's the whole idea....not sure really what you mean by "only" FW...but that's how the ZED gets the analog channels from the mixer into your computer and DAW. There is ADAT optical connections on the back to add 16 more inputs and outputs @44.1khz via an ADAT interface.
It basically has 18 analog channels (1-16 full mono channel strips) which mix down to a 2 track master. The master faders (17/18) can also be sent in/out to the computer....hence the total of 18...if that's what your asking.
I may be a little confused with what you're asking exactly...
The ZED can also be used just a straight live mixer if that's part of your question.
Old 19th September 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
I may be a little confused with what you're asking exactly...
Actually, I*m about to buy a analog summing box/mixer. But with a summing box, first I need to by a new sound card then a D/A convertors which is komplicated for me and there's a lot of cables... the question is: Can ZED act as analog summing for my ALREADY existing computer based sounds?

If it does it*s a really good part of gear and I*m on to buy it!
Old 20th September 2011
Lives for gear

Yes. So does the Mackie 1640i, the Phonic Helix Board 24, and the Midas Venice F series.
Old 20th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ears2thesky View Post
Yes. So does the Mackie 1640i, the Phonic Helix Board 24, and the Midas Venice F series.
If this was in response to the question
Quote:
Can ZED act as analog summing for my ALREADY existing computer based sounds?
Then 2 out of 3 ain't bad.
The Phonic can't do it. It can record 16 channels to DAW but can only receive 2 channels so no analog summing.
Old 22nd September 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt R View Post
Do you expect to have full read/write automation on the faders for this firewire device? If not, I'd say find a used Tascam US-2400 if you can find one and then pick up a Presonus Firestudio and a Presonus Digimax D8. That'll give you 16 channels of very good Audio I/O plus a control surface for under $1800 total. If your control surface fails, your audio I/O doesn't and vis versa.

You can get other audio I/O hardware by Tascam, for instance, that's USB Based and a lot less expensive. The hardest thing to find will be a control surface that's reliable and inexpensive. The US-2400 used to be rock solid and should still work with any modern applications that'll follow Mackie Control protocols.
I like your suggestion, but im a tad confused. Do you mean that i would be able to sync up the Presonus Firestudio and Presonus Digimax D8 ?

also, the Presonus Firestudio has 8 line inputs but also has 6 mic inputs, is it possible to use the mic inputs as additional line inputs ?

Thank you all very much for your input.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search