The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Im going crazy! Please help. Rackmount Synthesizers
Old 17th September 2011
Gear Head

Im going crazy! Please help.

Thought it would be easy...

I am trying to sum 4 stereo pairs from my 8 analog outs of my Apogee Ensemble.

my connects are:

apogee Ensemble 8 outs> into passive summing box 8 ins. > summing box stereo pair outs into Pacifica preamp> Pacifica preamp into input channels 5 & 6 of Ensemble.

I also have a Kurzweil Rumor connected via spdif in/out into Ensemble. I am monitoring off of the Rumor. I would also like to be able to print (record ) a track from the summing box that has a reverb from the Rumor.

I have tried with no luck using GarageBand 8 (very limited), Logic Express 7 and the Maestro software. I have my audio/midi set up with the speaker configuration set to ch. 9/10 ( which I assume would be the spdif on the Ensemble?) I can not seem to figure out the routing. Can not seem to get signal or control volume on the 1-8 outs on the bk. of the Ensemble. I also run into feedback loops.

Is there anyone here that can shed some light or walk me thru this?

Thanks!
Johnny
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

I would say first of all to monitor off the Ensemble, not the rumor. I would want to monitor off my main I/O piece and not an insert type FX box. However, seeing the I/O of everything and how you're trying to sum OTB I can see how you're running out of I/O on the ensemble to send to the monitors.

I know this isn't an easy/quick fix, but I would think about looking into a simple patch bay that you could wire in and easily patch in to the Rumor or the summing mixer. If the Ensemble had a separate Main/Stereo Out for going to monitors you'd be set, but you would now burn two of your 8 outs doing so. Then you wouldn't have 4 pair anymore.

Not sure what the summing box is, but you can maybe monitor off that?? I run a 002R and monitor off my Dangerous D-Box. The way you have the rumor set up in the whole mix of things (to me) is the main culprit. I would highly advise to only use it as intended, and that's as an FX insert.

Howie J
Old 19th September 2011
Gear Head

Yea I am trying to use all 1-8 outs for summing....

I had to reinstall my Ensemble software.. and I now have output sound and everything is working.. I am using outs 1-2 for monitoring which leaves me with 3-4, 5-6, 7-8 for summing.

summing box>pacifica>Drawmer 1968 comp> Rumor> Ensemble.

The passive summing box i have is very basic. 8 ins 2 outs all TRS.

I own 3 Samson S-Patch Plus - 48 Point Patch Bays and a bunch of patch cables.. I gave up on it. I really need someone to walk me thru the set up step by step. I researched asked questions and I didnt get it. I was trying to have my 2 comps, 6 pres, 2 outboard fx and the Ensemble go thru the patchbays so that I dont have to go behind my desk each time i want to try a different routing set up. One set up for tracking and another for moxing(summing) etc..

Anyways I really appreciate you responding. Thanks! If you know or can direct me to someone that could explain in simple terms what to plug in where and which setting normal, half noramal etc... on the patchbay that would be insane.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search