The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Roland Edirol UA-25EX latency! HELP! Condenser Microphones
Old 17th September 2011
Gear Head

Roland Edirol UA-25EX latency! HELP!

Okay, so. Earlier this year I decided I wanted to get some real gear instead of using the MXL .009 USB Mic that I had used before. I decided to go out and get the MXL genesis which is amazing sounding. However my problems lies within my pre-amp.

I spent well around $1,000 and really don't want to spend anymore money on anything unless I absolutely have to. So I do all my work in Fl studio. The recordings sound good but I have to constantly do retakes because the Edirol UA-25EX has this problem I can't seem to solve.
I am having problems with Latency while recording live. I can't get any better then 7ms. I find myself having to redo alot of stuff like I said especially on overdubbing, I try to realign them and what not but the fact i can't get it right on time due to latency sucks. :( 7ms is a little to high. Especially while recording live.

The ASIO driver that comes with it has a choice. It is meter between 1-10 and it is currently set at 5 which is 320 samples at 7ms. If i go lower below 5 on this meter I get 160 samples and less latency but I am then constantly getting under runs in my FL studio and crashing problems..

I have set it at 1 before which is 160 samples at 3ms latency. Then my DAW (FL studio) doesn't work at all!!. Is there any way to fix this latency. It is driving me crazy that I cannot do anything at all.. All my projects have been set aside for now until I get all these problems resolved with my equipment. I need help!! Any response or experiences would be greatly appreciated! I'm new to this stuff and not having good luck.. I just want to record with a decent recording and not have to worry about latency.
Old 17th September 2011
Gear Maniac

This webpage may help: DPC Latency Checker
Download dpclat.exe from there, run it on your DAW then post your results.
Old 17th September 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostintime View Post
Okay I'll do that. Hopefully we can get this figured out.
Old 17th September 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Well I downloaded it but do I just run it and play some tracks from my daw while it checks my system and how do I post my results?
Old 17th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessem166 View Post
Well I downloaded it but do I just run it and play some tracks from my daw while it checks my system and how do I post my results?
Run it, use your DAW, play with your UA-25EX latency settings, get it to glitch, see what dpclat.exe tells you.

You can take a screenshot of dpclat.exe by selecting its window and pressing Alt-PrtScn. Paste this into Paint or equivalent program. Save it then attach it to a post here.
Old 17th September 2011
Gear Head

I hope I did this right but, those red bars are at the exact time I changed the meter from 5 to anything below five. Then it would go back to green until I change it again. though when I got to 1 on the meter my DAW would not play but the Latency checker was in the green till I changed it again..
I'll upload another image of where it shows my DAW settings and Preamp settings and where I am seeing this (7ms) and this meter I am talking about.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dlc results.jpg (61.8 KB, 1618 views)
Old 17th September 2011
Gear Head

My Daw Image settings for my Preamp. These are the only options I can find to adjust the buffer settings and what not. This is where I cannot figure out where to change that (7ms) Latency it is showing! It makes recording a pain instead of a pleasure
Attached Images
File Type: png fl 7ms.PNG (113.4 KB, 3997 views)
Old 17th September 2011
Dz7
Gear Addict
Try Asio4All drivers...
Old 17th September 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dz7 View Post
Try Asio4All drivers...
Yea I was thinking the same thing. I tried to change it in my DAW. Lets say I have my headphones plugged into my preamp then in FL studio I change from my Preamps ASIO driver to ASIO4all I get a loud screetching noise that comes out from the speakers on my computer rather then the speakers on my preamp. I'm not sure.. then I tried to uninstall the driver on my preamp, to try use ASIO4all. Then my preamp doesn't work. It shuts off without it's driver installed. I'm not sure if there is a way around that or what.
Old 17th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
My Daw Image settings for my Preamp. These are the only options I can find to adjust the buffer settings and what not. This is where I cannot figure out where to change that (7ms) Latency it is showing! It makes recording a pain instead of a pleasure
Buffer size is inextricably linked to latency, i.e. they cannot be adjusted independently. The slider that goes from 1 to 10 adjusts them both, 320 samples at 48 kHz works out as 7 ms approximately (320 divided by 48 is actually 6.6 recurring).

Looking at your dpclat.exe results and your description of what you did to achieve them, it looks like your system is fine apart from driver problems with your UA-25EX. Apparently everything works, but at too high a latency for you when it's in the green, but when it's in the red you have glitching, but that only happens when you try to reduce the buffer settings/lower the latency below 5 on your UA-25EX.

You are running Windows 7 it seems. See if you can install the newer Vista drivers instead: Roland U.S. - UA-25EX: 24Bit/96kHz Audio Capture
Old 18th September 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Looking at your dpclat.exe results and your description of what you did to achieve them, it looks like your system is fine apart from driver problems with your UA-25EX. Apparently everything works, but at too high a latency for you when it's in the green, but when it's in the red you have glitching, but that only happens when you try to reduce the buffer settings/lower the latency below 5 on your UA-25EX.

You are running Windows 7 it seems. See if you can install the newer Vista drivers instead: Roland U.S. - UA-25EX: 24Bit/96kHz Audio Capture
I'll try install the vista drivers and see if I can get them to work. Next week sometime I'll get back to you after I try get some recording done with the vista drivers.. I'd also like to try the Dplclat.exe while recording and see what it shows me, It shouldn't make a difference I'd imagine since I've already tested my preamp, I wouldn't imagine the actual recording will effect it all that much.. from what I have heard, The Ua-25ex has some very stable drivers but there is complains bout latency, not as high as mine. So I'm wondering if maybe a new sound card would do the trick in achieving lower latency. But i'll keep you posted when I try get some recording done next week. Probably thursday or friday. Thanx for you help.
Old 18th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Is monitoring using the zero latency direct monitoring feature of your UA-25EX an option? No software effects on the input this way, but that might not matter.
Old 18th September 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Is monitoring using the zero latency direct monitoring feature of your UA-25EX an option? No software effects on the input this way, but that might not matter.

I don't need software effects on input, I do it all after it's been recorded anyways for more versatility. I have read about this direct monitoring feature on the UA-25ex, thats the main reason I got the preamp, that zero latency caught my attention. As far as I know I have been using it, I have turned the button on and off. I'm not sure I am doing it right but when I hit the button I lose sound on my headphones. Thats the only reason I havn't played with it to much so I assume I have been using it Unless there is an option in my DAW to enable the Direct monitering... I'm not completely sure, but I think I have been using it. I'll have to look into it further, I must be doing it wrong possibly if it's zery latency and I got 7ms of latency yet. I'll look into it and let you know.
Old 18th September 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
I don't need software effects on input, I do it all after it's been recorded anyways for more versatility. I have read about this direct monitoring feature on the UA-25ex, thats the main reason I got the preamp, that zero latency caught my attention. As far as I know I have been using it, I have turned the button on and off. I'm not sure I am doing it right but when I hit the button I lose sound on my headphones. Thats the only reason I havn't played with it to much so I assume I have been using it Unless there is an option in my DAW to enable the Direct monitering... I'm not completely sure, but I think I have been using it. I'll have to look into it further, I must be doing it wrong possibly if it's zery latency and I got 7ms of latency yet. I'll look into it and let you know.
The direct monitoring feature on the unit is very easy to use, you press the 'Mon Sw' button in so that the LED indicator lights red, and turn the 'direct monitor' rotary control until you have the required amount of level in your headphones/monitors (which should be plugged into the unit's Phones or Monitor outputs).
Old 18th September 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by willdrums711 View Post
The direct monitoring feature on the unit is very easy to use, you press the 'Mon Sw' button in so that the LED indicator lights red, and turn the 'direct monitor' rotary control until you have the required amount of level in your headphones/monitors (which should be plugged into the unit's Phones or Monitor outputs).
Yep. That's what I've been using. I always control the knob for my headphone volume and the light is on. So yea, I've been using the Direct Monitoring.
Old 19th September 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Yep. That's what I've been using. I always control the knob for my headphone volume and the light is on. So yea, I've been using the Direct Monitoring.
And you lose the sound on your headphones when you press the button?
Old 19th September 2011
Gear Head

For the Record. I fear this may be the culprit. Not sure though, I have a desktop but my laptop is much better for any DAWS and recording so that is what I use. So here are the specs for my laptop I do recording with that runs the DAW's, preamp and mic I am using.

Toshiba Satellite A665-S6094 Laptop Specifications

[h4]Performance[/h4]
Processor*Intel® Core™ i7-740QM processorOperating System*Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit)*Graphics Engine*NVIDIA® GeForce® 310MGraphics Memory*2270MB total: 512MB GDDR3 discrete memory + up to 1758MB shared memory w/NVIDIA® TurboCache™ technology[h4]Memory and Storage[/h4]
Memory*4GB DDR3 memoryHard Drive*640GB HDD (5400rpm)Optical Drive*DVD-SuperMulti (+/-R double layer) with Labelflash™ driveOptical Drives*DVD-SuperMulti drive (+/-R double layer) supporting up to 11 fomats[h4]Audio and Video[/h4]
Display Size16.0" widescreenDisplay Type*HD TruBrite® LED Backlit displayDisplay ResolutionSupports 720p content, 16:9 aspect ratio, 1366x768 (HD)Audioharman/kardon® stereo speakers, Headphone jack (stereo), Microphone jack (mono), Built-in microphone[h4]Power[/h4]
AC Adapter90W (19V x 4.74A) 100-240V AC AdapterBatteryLi-Ion (48Wh, 6-Cell)Battery Life*Up to 3.5 hours
[h4]Expansion[/h4]
PC Express Slot1-ExpressCard™ SlotSmartCard ReaderNo SmartCard Reader slotMediaMemory Card ReaderUSB Ports*3-USB (2.0), 1-eSATA/USB (2.0) combo port with Sleep and Charge*HDMIHDMI® output port
Old 19th September 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by willdrums711 View Post
And you lose the sound on your headphones when you press the button?
No. I pulled my preamp out to check that I do not lose my volume when I hit the mono SW switch. I was thinking of another switch possibly the digital in switch? Not sure, but no I don't lose my volume.
Old 24th September 2011
Gear Head

I'm now using the ASIO4ALL drivers now. I figured out how to do it and I am down to 3ms latency which is great! Thanx for all your help guys.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search