The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How to connect NS10s - Power Amp - Interface Synchronisers/Clock Generators
Old 16th September 2011
Gear Maniac

How to connect NS10s - Power Amp - Interface

Really stupid question but i need to ask.

Could someone explain to me the chain of how i would connect a pair of NS 10m's to an Amcron DC 300A amp and then to an Apogee Duet please?

Also how would i control the monitor volume? would i have to tweak the amp or can i still use my Duet volume knob?
Old 16th September 2011
Here for the gear

I would recommend caution, as I think that the Amcron DC 300A is a very powerful amp to power a pair of NS-10M.
Having said that:

1.: Connect Apogee Duet balanced 1/4” jack outputs to Amcron DC 300A unbalanced 1/4” jack inputs.
(choose - or make your own - jack/jack cables accordingly)

2.: Connect Amcron DC 300A speaker output posts to NS-10M using banana plugs, spade lugs or bare wire to connect loudspeaker cables.

I would assume you would indeed control monitor volume using your Duet volume knob.

Enjoy...
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

Nothing wrong with using a more powerful amp, you'll certainly be aware of the fact you can only turn things up so loud before you blow the speakers, But one would hope the amp has speaker overload protection. More power the cleaner the sound. If the amp has volume attenuators start at 12 o clock and see if it's a good working level. Then use the interface to set levels. The attenuators are set and forget, mine are left at 2 O clock and I never touch them.
Use good quality cables,( Beldon/Switchcraft) short runs need not be balanced.
Also use at least #16 gauge speaker wire. #14 or #12 is even better.
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

I do not know your interface, but assume it has 1/4" outs or xlr outs.

I go from my interface into this:

A Designs Audio - Atty Passive Stereo Level Control

Then into my amp (which is 300W also) then into my speakers.

The big amp is GREAT for the NS-10's I went from a 65W amp to the 300w and it was like I just got new speakers.

Get the atty though to give yourself a mute and a volume attenuator.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search