The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Low latency cause laptop to go crazy? Recorders, Players & Tape Machines
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Low latency cause laptop to go crazy?

Hey,

Last night I used my new Macbook Pro to record the output of a little A & H mixer. I used my Zoom H4 portable mic as an interface, and then tried to send the output of my laptop (via the interface) into a Line input on the mixer. This was so we could record a groove into my laptop, and then send it back into the mixer and play along. After doing this for about 30-45 minutes my headphone jack stopped working, so I decided to reboot the laptop. During the reboot a flashing white screen showed up and I never got to my desktop screen. So I turned off the laptop and didn't use it until several hours later, when it resumed normal function.

Questions:

1. I did not use a DI in between my interface output and the mixer Line input. Did this cause my laptop issues?

2. I had the buffer set to 128 samples, which was lower than the 256 default. Was this low buffer setting the true cause of the laptop issues?

3. Is my laptop permanently damaged in any way? It seems to be running fine now and the ports appear to be working fine.

Thanks
Old 20th September 2011
Lives for gear

Your interfaces output and your mixers line level input are both line level signal...no problem there. A DI is usually for dealing with an Instrument Level signal and a Line Level signal.

What software were you using to record and playback?

Is it an older MacBook?
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search