The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Job areas
Old 15th September 2011
Here for the gear

Job areas

Hey guys, like the Forum indicates I'm new. And I'm wondering about some details on job markets near NYC? Job salary vs. Living expenses? Difficulty of getting a job at a recording studio? Is it a good area for recording? etc.

Right now I'm an apprentice at a studio in NC and I'm thinking of moving to the outskirts of NYC and want to know how difficult it will be? Please no smart ass responses. I really need some help here.

Thanks guys,
Rory
Old 15th September 2011
It will be difficult. The industry as a whole is and has been contracting for quite some time. Things to help you: find a niche and specialize in providing a service that niche wants. Maybe you can be known as the guy all the mid-range bluegrass acts want because you know how to record upright bass and/or have a good room and fit their budget, etc. Promote yourself endlessly by talking about what you can do to solve your clients' problems, not what cool stuff you do or your gear list. If you want to be a staffer (do those exist anymore?) do more than one internship at busy studios, network like crazy and make it known that you will take that 2am karaoke session on 5 minutes notice everytime. Become dependable, personable, and knowledgeable. Get some tech skills, electrical engineering technology type stuff, you can fix stuff for people who don't have the skills and also you'll be networking at the same time.
Old 16th September 2011
Good luck. I'm currently in school for record production/electronics and am beaten over the head with how very possible it is that I might never find a job in this field that will be able to fully sustain myself and my family.

A labor of love? Certainly. I'm all about it.

My niche would be teching. Guitar, backline, even drums to an extent. I also love touring and have done it for years.

Best of luck!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search