The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Need help on what to do!! Desktop Synthesizers
Old 15th September 2011
Here for the gear

Need help on what to do!!

Hello basically here is the situation im in. I have recently started producing going on 6 months Im using Vst's and no hardware besides a midi keyboard.my question is really I dont know what im doing wrong like i can get any of the sounds that i can i guess hear in my head or just when messing around i cant get the quote on quote sound im looking for/i can never finish a song , i have never used a real synth till a few weeks ago and for the 20 mins i used it i loved the hands on feel allot more...so basically i dont know weather to think about buying a real synth/ or maybe im just not educated enough and this school i have been looking @ might help called point blank/ maybe i just have to give it time in the vST land and ill eventually get it but i like the warm sounds allot from real snyths i guess....the past weeks weeks my heads been buzzing and i really want to decide NOW what i should do before spending anymore cash and curious if anyone one could help me TY

p.s. software i have
Ableton/reason/synth squad/minimoog v/massive/ozone4/geist/unique/kore2/absynth...and a bunch of little random filters....ect
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Head

Hey Kapwyna, so in my opinion vsts are good, have good ones around some of them you are using already like Massive, minimoog, absynth i would recommend for you to try out other synth from Arturia Collection, Sylenth, imposcar, minimonstra, etc. You can get really nice sounds and do really nice tracks with Vsts just have to have more patience and work more around, and of course it depends the style of music you are doing, and i don't really enjoy Ableton synths but this is me, prefer Logic.

On the other hand, again my opinion, i do prefer Hardware, Knobs, Cables, connections and i do think it sound better, you have a lot of types of synths some digitals some analogs, some hybrids, if you played for 20 minutes with a synth and already liked i think you should give a try, definitely it will be more fun hehe, like you sad you can give time to time and stick with the vsts and learn more about combinations, some times the sounds that you want you can get with your synth + plugins and more plugins in you chain, again it depends on the style you are doing don't know, and some times its not worth it to expand 400 euros in some synths that you can get the same sound with vsts, the best think its to you to try out the synth that you want, you liked? Sound how you want? having fun? go for it and before buying always do a little gearslutz search to see where are you going.

Peace, and have fun
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapwnya View Post
I have recently started producing going on 6 month...I dont know what im doing wrong like i can get any of the sounds that i can i guess hear in my head or just when messing around i cant get the quote on quote sound im looking for/i can never finish a song...
How many airline pilots or doctors or any other professional become a star in 6 months?

It's called experience.

Put your seat in the chair and work at it. Things don't come magically overnight.
Old 15th September 2011
Here for the gear

@tim ya i know i was just pointing out that i have been buying vst's for 6months and from my hardware encounter till now i have just been having seconds thoughts and would like to make a decision before i pore more money in VST land..and i know everything takes time im the type of person to go the extra mile for the details in almost everything i do..u know

@Scharpf the music im doing is progresive house/electro house/ maybe dip into some dubstep down the road...and idont know i just always fantasized about the real synths haha and could only afford one big synth -to like 4 maybe more VST's so i guess thats why i went that way to start off but it seems lately this mouse action is stumping me or it seems like it lol..but i will defiantly give this much time and look into VST's by those ppl...the real synth i was thinking about getting was the little phatty or prophet 08 and of course the voayager caught my eye but in terms of dirty sounds and overall how different is it from the phatty

also i got a noob question so you know how with vsts you can save presets and use the piano roll. well can hardware like for example the prophet 08 and little phatty do the same?
Old 16th September 2011
Gear Head

The little phatty is a nice synth, monophonic but i really enjoy. But keep one think in mind probably you are not going to leave your vsts just cause you bought a synth, its a good think work with both, more options special doing electronic music, with the phatty you can get a nice lfo and do some nice dubstep basslines, this days i would recommend the slim phatty between the little phatty since you already have the midi controller, check on the moog website, and bewtween the voayager and the little phatty i would reccomend this threat: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/elect...s-voyager.html

Yes you can connect more then one synth at once, you need inputs for that, a sound card with good number of inputs and outputs, and midi inputs and outputs, a midi hub can solve that, some newer synths came with usb which can carrier midi to.

MOst of the vsts have an option to save your preset, normally near where you can load them.
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear
Personally, I find it increasingly more difficult to be inspired while staring at my computer.

Also, I don't love softsynths anymore. I think they feel too "theoretical" to me now. Anyhow, I think the most interesting results come from confronting limitations (musically or technologically), NOT from limitless possibilities.
Old 16th September 2011
Here for the gear

i ment saving presets for for hard synths? ..but ty everyone for your imput and such also ty for the thread link Scharpf
im reading it atm and finding it usefull i think i end up buying a hard synth but like you said im not going to abandon my VST's but rather use them with my hard ware.....TY all
Old 16th September 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
i ment saving presets for for hard synths? ..but ty everyone for your imput and such also ty for the thread link Scharpf
im reading it atm and finding it usefull i think i end up buying a hard synth but like you said im not going to abandon my VST's but rather use them with my hard ware.....TY all
I use both hardware & softsynths, they both have their place.
Sometimes i cant get the sound im after in an analog synth, so my softsynths save the day.

As far as presets for hard synths....thats the fun thing about it, you wont get the same sound twice, screw it up as much as you want cos you'll have a sound that noone else has
Old 16th September 2011
Quote:
i ment saving presets for for hard synths?
If it has midi out then yes, you can record the sysex info into your DAW session.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search