The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
SoundCloud audio issue
Old 15th September 2011
Here for the gear

SoundCloud audio issue

I have a pretty noob question. I've noted in a tutorial track I've uploaded to soundcloud there is a high ringing noise when the bass kicks in with the drums, it's not in the MP3 or WAV files when I play them on my PC or in the original project file. Would anyone know why this is? Does soundcloud cut certain frequencies or **** out at extremes/should I be processing audio files in a certain way to avoid this?

It's irritating the **** out of me.

Thanks for your help ^.^
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Yeah, Soundcloud has a lower sound quality than the standard bounces... It particularly struggles when you really slam the mix, even when there's no problems on the wav or mp3 version, so I'd say bounce it and upload again. Maybe bring the whole thing down a couple of dB. See if that sorts the problem.
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Soundcloud streams @ 128kbps, so it's pretty lofi - but what probably makes the problem more pronounced is if you upload mp3 files - because they end up being re-encoded again by SC, so you get two lossy conversions and the accompanying artifacts. Upload wav files instead, and as said, leave some extra headroom. Also, it might be a good idea to cut (or at least attenuate) the extreme highs & lows as these are the area mp3 conversion will struggle with the most.
Old 15th September 2011
I upload WAVs to SoundCloud and have no issues with audio.
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Stone View Post
I upload WAVs to SoundCloud and have no issues with audio.
same
Old 15th September 2011
Here for the gear

Yeah I normally don't have an issue but in this particular track I've used a lower bass frequency (which sounds better than anything else I've done in the non-soundcloud versions). I thought it may be something to do with the double processing as well. Will take note of editing at either end.

Ergh, I use MP3 because WAV upload times are killer, but I guess I don't have an option :P

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search