The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Loud master secrets? Need help! Dynamics Plugins
Old 14th September 2011
Here for the gear

Loud master secrets? Need help!

Hey slutz,

I'm trying to get my mixes to be around -9 (RMS). Right now I'm hitting around -15 rms. How can I make my mix louder without changing any sound quality? Like I know limiters can easily do the trick, but what exactly on the limiter do you do? Thanks
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Which limiters do you own ? a good sounding 9db RMS isn´t much of a problem if you have a decent mixdown.
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

You can take a good mix to stupid levels just by clipping the master fader in Reaper if you want to, providing the mix isn't laced with nasty distortion. A crappy mix will fall to pieces and distort like crazy pretty much from the get-go. Getting the tonal and instrument balance sorted is the first step, but if there's too much distortion in the tracks (ie, you mixed too hot into a tape plugin), it will become uber-obvious when you smash it to pieces, and the RMS will just reach a plateau. Get a good mix, and you can just clip it to commercial levels with no problem (normally). If you can't get it past -8 easily with a modern mix, it probably isn't a good enough mix.
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Maniac

I would suggest you might like to spend a bit more time with automation & compression. The top mix engineers work hard so individual elements of a mix are under control thus avoiding massive spikes of energy resulting in the need to have the mix softer overall. Search out massive peaks (particularly in vocals, drums etc) and just trim them a bit whilst ensuring you keep the dynamic content and charm. Use compression the same way and you'll be surprised how much hotter your overall mix will be.
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pre Studio Prod. View Post
I'm trying to get my mixes to be around -9 (RMS). Right now I'm hitting around -15 rms. How can I make my mix louder without changing any sound quality?
You can't. Nobody can. You can only hope to not damage it too badly.
Old 16th September 2011
Gear Maniac

-9 is fairly loud actually...but if you want it...just slap a couple of mastering plugs on your mix bus...tweak for a second and voila -9...
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

There are tons of threads about this in the mastering section. Use the search function.
Old 20th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Mordo View Post
There are tons of threads about this in the mastering section. Use the search function.

Tons of people say what you just did. Use the search function.
Old 20th September 2011
If you haven't already heard of it, there's a pretty amazing piece of software from Slate Digital called FG-X. This will do exactly what you're looking for, and the difference between using it vs. a Limiter is pretty staggering.

Here's a link:
Slate Digital FG-X | AudioLot.com 888.224.3343

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search