The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What am I Doing Wrong?!?!? Condenser Microphones
Old 14th September 2011
Here for the gear

What am I Doing Wrong?!?!?

Alright, here's my setup...

AT2020 Mic --> Presonus Audiobox Interface --> Reaper

Every time I record vocals (rapping), I have to be EXTRA careful how loud I get because it's ultra sensitive, the waveform is huge, and it ends up distorting.

I have the mic input on my interface turned ALL THE WAY DOWWWN, and this is still a problem.

I'm standing a good distance away from the mic, but I can't go to far cause then what I'm rapping won't be understood lol.

And I do alot of experimental stuff so I might wanna sing or scream here and there, and that always goes terribly as far distorting and peaking goes.

Do I need to add a limiter while recording or what??
Old 15th September 2011
Here for the gear

Anybody??
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Maniac

The gain is too loud on the way in. Software limiter wont help, as the gain will still go in super hot before it hits the limiter. You need to control that gain to begin with.

I have never used the Presonus Audiobox Interface, it's this thing right? PreSonus

If your mic is plugged into input 1, twist the knob with the 1 under it down until the signal isnt as hot.
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Head

Not familiar with the presonus but im pretty sure the AT2020 doesn't have a PAD you can engage. Is there a PAD on the presonus? You could pick up one of those hardware in-line pads that doesn't have the kick drum eq built in. Obviously the earthworks "kick pad" wouldn't work for you but I'm pretty sure I've seen another one out there by Sure or someone. This is definitely a last ditch resort though. Sounds like you are missing something somewhere.

I also haven't dove into reaper yet but Is there input gain anywhere you can adjust? Not the channel fader obviously but an actual gain stage on the input or possibly some kind of control GUI for your interface?

These are things I would look for.
Old 15th September 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rukas View Post
The gain is too loud on the way in. Software limiter wont help, as the gain will still go in super hot before it hits the limiter. You need to control that gain to begin with.

I have never used the Presonus Audiobox Interface, it's this thing right? PreSonus

If your mic is plugged into input 1, twist the knob with the 1 under it down until the signal isnt as hot.
Tried that. The knob is all the way down. Still a failure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by notyetfamous
Not familiar with the presonus but im pretty sure the AT2020 doesn't have a PAD you can engage. Is there a PAD on the presonus? You could pick up one of those hardware in-line pads that doesn't have the kick drum eq built in. Obviously the earthworks "kick pad" wouldn't work for you but I'm pretty sure I've seen another one out there by Sure or someone. This is definitely a last ditch resort though. Sounds like you are missing something somewhere.

I also haven't dove into reaper yet but Is there input gain anywhere you can adjust? Not the channel fader obviously but an actual gain stage on the input or possibly some kind of control GUI for your interface?

These are things I would look for.
There's not an input gain for some reason
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by O'Neal View Post
Tried that. The knob is all the way down. Still a failure.

There's not an input gain for some reason
There is no way you can have the gain knob down on that unit and STILL have sound going in.

Are you using Mic in or Line in? Maybe Line in on the unit goes straight through? Ive never used it, but, if you were using Mic in and turn the gain on the unit all the way down it wouldnt record anything.
Old 15th September 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rukas View Post
There is no way you can have the gain knob down on that unit and STILL have sound going in.

Are you using Mic in or Line in? Maybe Line in on the unit goes straight through? Ive never used it, but, if you were using Mic in and turn the gain on the unit all the way down it wouldnt record anything.
The knob is all the way down and I'm still getting a hot ass signal buddy.

I'm not using mic in or line in.

I'm using an Audiobox USB.

My mic is plugged into the interface
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
The knob is all the way down and I'm still getting a hot ass signal buddy.

Pretty rude for someone asking for help. Try your manual.
Old 15th September 2011
Quote:
I'm not using mic in or line in
Then how are you connecting your mic? a condenser mic needs a pre-amp and phantom power. Something in your signal chain is screwed up. Only you have the privilege to see your chain in person, so maybe just do a bit of manual reading and then you will see whats wrong with your signal chain.
Old 15th September 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Mastering View Post
Then how are you connecting your mic? a condenser mic needs a pre-amp and phantom power. Something in your signal chain is screwed up. Only you have the privilege to see your chain in person, so maybe just do a bit of manual reading and then you will see whats wrong with your signal chain.
I thought he meant on my computer. Yeah, I'm using the mic in on my interface.
Old 15th September 2011
so all you hqave in your chain is the AT condensor mic going into the presonus audio box's pre-amp and then into reaper. And your saying with the mic pre-amp knobn tuned all the way down your still getting a very hot signal.

If this is correct, then its either 1 of 2 things. Its either the knob is broken or your turning down the wrong knob. There is no other explanation.
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Head

I had a similar problem with my tascam us100 interface. On the back of the interface there is a switch that reads "mic, line, phono", it was in phono somehow. Just had to switch it back to line and problem solved. Hope this helps, as I am not familiar with your interface.
Old 16th September 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Mastering View Post
so all you hqave in your chain is the AT condensor mic going into the presonus audio box's pre-amp and then into reaper. And your saying with the mic pre-amp knobn tuned all the way down your still getting a very hot signal.

If this is correct, then its either 1 of 2 things. Its either the knob is broken or your turning down the wrong knob. There is no other explanation.
I think you may be right about my knobs being defective.

I'm gonna contact Presonus tomorrow and get it repaired.

I bought it used from GC, maybe thatz why the previous idiot sold it.
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
I think you may be right about my knobs being defective.

I'm gonna contact Presonus tomorrow and get it repaired.

I bought it used from GC, maybe thatz why the previous idiot sold it.
well, if he was able to turn a "defective" unit into cash, then he's not such an idiot after all, is he?
Old 16th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fooloof View Post
well, if he was able to turn a "defective" unit into cash, then he's not such an idiot after all, is he?
You're a smart one.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search