The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
UAD 2 really worth?! DSP Audio Systems
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Head

UAD 2 really worth?!

Hi, Anybody here that has UAD solo 2 can tell me if this device really worth!? I'm thinking to buy it...
Or do you think that with Sonnox, Waves, Voxengo, Massey I can get the same result?
Are EQ and compressors of UAD really so better than the others?! I have here a good computer, I wouldn't have problems with DPS...
Thanks!!!
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Addict

We have a lot of the UAD Plugs...Can't speak for Waves..We also have some of the Sonnox plugs. I am sure you can make really good sounding music with any companies you listed. The UAD EQ's are very good, we have their Neve 1073's. The Sonnox manuals are some of the best written documentation in the industry. Check them out on their web site, even if you don't buy their plugs.

Tim Cochran
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Head

Hi Jonas,

I am probably in the same position as you currently without a lot of outboard gear and in need of making tracks & mixes sound as good as I possibly can. I've found the UAD2 plugins to be invaluable to me as a beginning engineer/mixer. I'm particularly fond of the Neve 1073 plugin but have also found the Pultec that comes bundled with the unit to be terrific on my low-end sources.

In addition to the Neve 1073, I use the UA LA2A, 1176 plugs regularly and also am quite fond of the EMT reverbs (have them both).

My only current issue with the UAD2 system is that I have the SOLO which limits the instances I can use at once.

If you're going to do a lot of processing in the box, I think the UAD2 stuff is top-notch sound...at least within the box. I'm starting down the path of doing some things out of the box, so I'll be able to tell you in a few months what I think about Analog vs. Digital, but I'm afraid (and so is my wallet) of what I'm going to discover....

Ron
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Addict

I love the UAD platform but man, are u opening up a huge can of worms. People around here LOOOVEE to get into childish pissing matches over the UAD vs waves vs whatever plugins, so don't be suprised if u get a ton of completely useless responses. It's entertaining but none of it will help u decide. Just buy a solo card. If u don't like it, u can sell it.

If ur gonna get a solo, spring for the solo flexi. Its the best deal cooking and if u buy before september 31 u get the EMT 250 for free.

Sent from my DROID2 using Gearslutz.com App
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

I have most of both the UAD and waves plugs. There are some great plugs in both camps. I personally use my UAD plugs more...I think some things like the Studer, the new Ampex, Massive Passive and Fatso don't really have a strong counterpoint on the Waves side. I also like some of the CLA and Kramer stuff a lot. You can get a lot done with either...but if you decide to go UAD get at least a duo...better to save up and go Quad.
L.
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Head

Thanks, friends for all the answers!! These informations were important!
I decided to buy a UAD solo 2/laptop. I don't have much money to spend now and I'll use it in my small studio. In the future I intend to spend with a Quad.
Today I talked with Carlos Freitas of Classic Master (the most famous place of masterization, here i brazil, São Paulo). There, he has the hardware of Manley Passive Eq. He has too the same Manley but like a plug in of UAD. And he told me that they are pratically identicals, they are really similar ... After this opinion, I decided to buy it and try it!
Thanks again!!
Jonas.
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Addict

jonas, check out the link below. It's a good resource to have when deciding what plug-ins to purchase with your UAD-2. Notice the Manley is not very efficient. Takes up a ton of power, not leaving much room for other plugs to run. It's ok in a mastering situation though where you don't need tons of plugs running at once.

What other plugs outside of Universal audio do you have? I might look at the Neve 88Rs as one of your first buys if I were you. It's a "do it all" eq/comp/limiter/gate channel strip that is very efficient and sounds really nice!!

UAD Instance Chart
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Addict

+1 for UAD2 plugs and cards. I find amuch special sauce in their offerings...Fatso...Precision mastering stuff. the Roland emus, Neve, Lexi/EMT reverbs and even the lesser rev plugs...the comps can be matched by others, don't use the EQ's personally, but all in all i get a lot from my installs of UAD2 candy.
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynugz007 View Post
jonas, check out the link below. It's a good resource to have when deciding what plug-ins to purchase with your UAD-2. Notice the Manley is not very efficient. Takes up a ton of power, not leaving much room for other plugs to run. It's ok in a mastering situation though where you don't need tons of plugs running at once.

What other plugs outside of Universal audio do you have? I might look at the Neve 88Rs as one of your first buys if I were you. It's a "do it all" eq/comp/limiter/gate channel strip that is very efficient and sounds really nice!!

UAD Instance Chart
Man!!! Very nice tip! Very usefull! It is the ideal chart to guide my future purchases! Thanks a lot!
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Nut
Yeah, you are going to want a quad, especially if you are going to get most of your plugins during mixing from the uad. Like, one massive passive here, a few emt 140's over there, neve 33609 and you are at 90% in no time. And thats with a quad.
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear
As a UAD-2 user, i say no.

I use my UAD-2 plugins because i have them. they are available to me, and work well. They helped me out when I didn't really know how to use compressors and eqs. Something about the plugins made me really want to use them. I think it was the GUIs. The sounds are fine, good and great even. But other plugins can do that too, if you take the time to understand what you are doing to signals with them...and for a lot less. After an initial (kind of insane) investment, i've since stopped buying UAD plugins as I no longer can afford them.

But you need to figure out what you need, and go from there. There are some UAD plugins, like the de-esser, that i find really really useful. Some of the special effects are nice, I like the Boss Chorus and the Plate reverb in particular. But if it's comps and eqs you are lusting after, trust me the native stuff is just as good.
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

Yeah I'm not as sure as you are

I've used a lot of things out there, and finally got a UAD card. I ended up selling it only because it was the SOLO and it didn't have enough horsepower. But the sounds...well..I never found any EQs I liked from anyone as much as the 1073EQ, the Precision stuff was terrific, and a few other things that I demoed but don't remember. It all sounded bigger and better than anything else I had tried out there. Maybe it was just easier to get good sounds faster or something. But I really liked it. It's just way expensive.
Old 20th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonas tatit View Post
Hi, Anybody here that has UAD solo 2 can tell me if this device really worth!? I'm thinking to buy it...
Or do you think that with Sonnox, Waves, Voxengo, Massey I can get the same result?
Are EQ and compressors of UAD really so better than the others?! I have here a good computer, I wouldn't have problems with DPS...
Thanks!!!
as a long time UAD user, your original question has to have the answer "no - a solo is not worth it".
A Quad would be though.......and you just might get by with a Duo but to be brutally honest, I doubt it.
Why?
Because these tools are seriously good, and in my opinion you simply will not get better. Some will tel youthat they are bad because they are
A - DSP, and a large dongle (the "why will they not go native?" whiners)
B -too expensive (the "UAD are elitist/to expensive" whiners)

What you really should do is arange to go & drop in on a studio that uses them (you cannot demo without the card) or just say to hell with it & buy one. I cannot imagine not having my Quad, and have just ordered a second one to run multiple instances of the Studer.
Price. $349 for an Ampex ATR-102, a Manley Massive Passive or a Lexicon 224 is not expensive, especially when you consider the MMP comes in 2 flavours that the hardware equivalent would cost over £11,000 alone.
Their suport is up there with the best in the industry and the plugins simply sound outstanding.

At the end, this is something only you can decide on.
Old 20th September 2011
Lives for gear

I think my DUO is great....and agree the solo on it's own might be a little frustrating. But i also use a liquid mix and many native brands.
I actually like the DSP element of my DUO and the Liquid Mix and rely on this feature in my attempts to mix to a high standard and keep things cpu efficient.
Old 21st September 2011
Gear Head

After all these opinions I decided to buy a UAD-2 SATELLITE DUO. I don't have more money to spend now, unfortunatly.... And this purchase seems to be a good begining...
Thanks! All opinions were very usefull!
Old 22nd September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
After all these opinions I decided to buy a UAD-2 SATELLITE DUO. I don't have more money to spend now, unfortunatly.... And this purchase seems to be a good begining...
let me know wut u think. i might buy them two. all i need is an awsome compressor... i need to get my vox to sit perfectly in the mix
Old 26th September 2011
Gear Nut
I think the duo is great, but i'd find myself bouncing tracks a little too much. Even the quad tops out on some of my sessions .
Old 12th October 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilwilkes View Post
as a long time UAD user, your original question has to have the answer "no - a solo is not worth it".
A Quad would be though.......and you just might get by with a Duo but to be brutally honest, I doubt it.
Why?
Because these tools are seriously good, and in my opinion you simply will not get better. Some will tel youthat they are bad because they are

What you really should do is arange to go & drop in on a studio that uses them (you cannot demo without the card) or just say to hell with it & buy one. I cannot imagine not having my Quad, and have just ordered a second one to run multiple instances of the Studer.
Price. $349 for an Ampex ATR-102, a Manley Massive Passive or a Lexicon 224 is not expensive, especially when you consider the MMP comes in 2 flavours that the hardware equivalent would cost over £11,000 alone.
Their suport is up there with the best in the industry and the plugins simply sound outstanding.

Couldn't agree more! I have the quad and ordered another one this Sept with the 6176 deal offer (couldn't resist) for exactly the same reasons as above. I've been a long time viewer of GS and only recently signed up to post but Neil's opionions on gear have helped me massively, he's rarely wrong.
Old 12th October 2011
Lives for gear

I've used UAD plugs for about two years now, and I really don't understand the "solo is worthless, get a quad" argument. Granted, my solo doesn't give me DSP juice to drown everything with FATSOs et al, but I've learned to cope, using the UAD power only where it's needed. I do produce pretty "sparse" stuff (1-8 tracks on an average project), so perhaps it's just me.. But in any case, the sound of their plugins is exquisite <3
Old 16th October 2011
Here for the gear

I use a solo UAD 2 on one of my studio machines and yes it is underpowered but the advantage is it forces you to make decisions as you go along. This in my view is a positive and takes me back to the old 8 track analog tape days. By using freeze functions or commiting to printed effects means you don't approach the final mix with dozens of decisions still unresolved. Sure you can do the same with a Quad, but generally you don't
Old 2nd December 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Why?

Thanks!
Old 2nd December 2011
Quote:
To the OP- I hope you've saved some money since September, because Universal Audio is having their regular December sale. All their plugins are on sale- some at a pretty good discount. If you're looking to get another plugin or two, this is a good time to buy. If you filled in their online survey, you also got a $25 coupon you can use this month too. You might have gotten a voucher with your DUO too. If you're looking for more plugins, make sure to do your research- decide what you need and go from there. Sure, there's tons of arguments about UAD vs Waves vs whatever and DSP vs Native, but for me, the UAD plugins are great.
Old 3rd December 2011
Lives for gear

I have to agree with what Neil said. By all means get a card (I got the UAD 2 Solo/Laptop myself) but I would recommend getting a Quad card and NOT a Solo card. The reason being, a Solo card doesn't really have enough DSP for my needs.
Old 3rd December 2011
Lives for gear

Is say get a solo and get uad best Plugins then go native with the rest!

Though I have 5 uad cards 4 of them are uad1,but the new native Plugins have great algo's and sound fantastic!

Some are even better the uad...
Sent from my PC36100 using Gearslutz.com
Old 3rd December 2011
Here for the gear

Great thread !, I've been looking into alot of these questions also.

1. Is UAD-2, a better sounding system than UAD-1 ?

2. Do DSP effects sound better than running plugins in your DAW, (assuming the DAW plugs are of high quality) or is it simply that you save CPU power ?

3. DSP effects can be added directly after the ADC before the DAW, is there any other benefit other than that you can monitor or print the effect to the DAW ?

Thanks
Old 3rd December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illumina View Post
Great thread !, I've been looking into alot of these questions also.

1. Is UAD-2, a better sounding system than UAD-1 ?

2. Do DSP effects sound better than running plugins in your DAW, (assuming the DAW plugs are of high quality) or is it simply that you save CPU power ?

3. DSP effects can be added directly after the ADC before the DAW, is there any other benefit other than that you can monitor or print the effect to the DAW ?

Thanks
You maybe talking about audio interfaces with dsp on them?

In that case printing effects works a little different from when you use a uad dsp card.

Uad sound better then daw stock Plugins but to print uad effects,would be exactly the same as stock Plugins,and every daws handles that differently.

Uad has latency when you start adding to many Plugins,because the run off the dsp card and take time for all the info to travel back and forth.

While mixing its not a issue(for me)but tracking with a lot of dsp Plugins might give you a unwanted delay....

I think uad 1 and 2 sound the same,again the newer Plugins have a more complex code and imho are closer to analog sounding.

Old 3rd December 2011
Here for the gear

Thanks

Funny, I noticed alot of sayings like "classic 70s analogue sound" which really doesnt interest me. I actually prefer digital sound. i.e. in my Ozone 5 I always prefer the digital sounds to the analogue, with the exception of the tape enhancer, that does sound nice. I notice alot of guys mentioning Ampex and Studer. I guess those UAD plugs sound good?
Old 3rd December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Why?

I guess it depends on how you mix...

I use cubase and I make groups in cubase which allow you to route as many audio channels you need to a group!

So once I comp the lead vocals ill group them and process all in line,no need to have 7 gates,7eq's or compressors just one of each on the group buss!

I have 2 uad1 and one uad 2 in my new computer.the uad 1 and handle 41 la2a or 1176's each!

That 82 compressors but I only use 5-10 on average,so my solo is truly a bonus and is really for compatibility for the newer Plugins.

Plus I've found some exceptional native Plugins like slate Vcc!

But that ampex 102 tape emu is the cream if the crop!

At this point ill use uad only for there very best,and for the rest ill go native.

After softubes trident A range is $124,and uad's trident is twice that amount....

The studer will need a quad(you'll need many instances),the ampex can run with one instance on the master buss.
Old 9th December 2011
Gear Head

one point to note is don't limit yourself to a single brand of plugins, i use a UAD2 -QUAD OMNI with everything but 3 mxr,vog and the new spl vit. I use a lot of their plugins, tho i also use a great deal of others for example waves, paz analyzer and sound toys echo boy.

The uad plugins are exceptional and i'd strongly recommend them to anyone the advantage of having a dsp satellite card in my case is incredible i can mix on the move if necessary through high quality headphones and reference it all later in the studio through a range of monitors.

the dsp really enhances my abilities within protools, with out having to worry about too slow error warnings.

I'd personally start by getting yourself a basic uad package, get a handful of plugs especially:
la2a
manley
oxford
percision mastering
neve pack especially 1073
get yourself a few little toys as well that may add something different to your mix, like the ampex or studer.
get your hands on the lexicon 224
and the emt 140!!
maybe a fatso.

and then spend as much time as you can learning them, then look for whats missing and add from there, check out demo's of waves tools and soundtoys echo boy they can add a great dynamic to your mixes

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search