The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Project mix i/o question Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Head

Project mix i/o question

Hello, very Amateur question my home set up is an MPC 4K, ASR-10 and my audio interface is a M-Audio Project Mix I/O. My question is how do i play my MPC/ASR-10 out of my project mix through my speakers?

Im pretty sure i have all the wires set up correctly is there something on the computer or PM that i have to touch to hear them? does Pro Tools have to be open?

Im not trying to synch them to pro tools by MIDI to lay anything down. I just want to hear them through my speakers so i can create something to lay down in my DAW? please somebody help ive been pulling my hair out trying to figure this out
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Head

can anybody atleast point me in the right direction
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Addict

What you're asking is if the ProjectMix will operate standalone - ie. will it pass audio from the inputs to the outputs when NOT connected to software and monitoring through your software. I'm not a ProjectMix user and can't confirm this myself, but a quick search kind of leads me to believe that this is NOT possible. Hopefully someone else can confirm or deny that.

If not, then yes, you will have to launch Pro Tools and create a stereo Aux track for the input channels corresponding to your attached hardware, and have them routed to the outputs that your monitors are connected to.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Actually it will, if you open up the M-Audio control panel, there is a mixer there which will enable you to route inputs to outputs without involving Pro Tools or any other DAW.

If you tell me exactly which gear is connected to which inputs or outputs I will try and help more.
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapillonIrl View Post
Actually it will, if you open up the M-Audio control panel, there is a mixer there which will enable you to route inputs to outputs without involving Pro Tools or any other DAW.

If you tell me exactly which gear is connected to which inputs or outputs I will try and help more.
I have the MPC going into lineout 1+2 and the ASR 10 goin into lineout 3+4
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Head

actually scratch that i have my speakers going into line out 1+2 and the MPC is line out 3+4.. the main out of my ASR-10 is going into My MPC.

Old 15th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintAudio87 View Post
actually scratch that i have my speakers going into line out 1+2 and the MPC is line out 3+4.. the main out of my ASR-10 is going into My MPC.

Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but you can't run your MPC through your Projectmix by connecting it to line-outputs. You need to connect the outputs from your MPC to inputs on the ProjectMix. Then route that signal to your speaker outputs.
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg B View Post
Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but you can't run your MPC through your Projectmix by connecting it to line-outputs. You need to connect the outputs from your MPC to inputs on the ProjectMix. Then route that signal to your speaker outputs.
no your reading it right. So the Project mix has 8 inputs i would just have to plug them in there jacks one and two?

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...edu10rear.jpg/
Old 15th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintAudio87 View Post
no your reading it right. So the Project mix has 8 inputs i would just have to plug them in there jacks one and two?

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting
Yes, you'd want to connect the outputs from your MPC to the inputs on the Projectmix (could be 1+2, 3+4, or whatever) and then route those inputs to your desired outputs on the Projectmix using the mixer (basicly treating the MPC as you would a pair of microphones). Outputs of one device must go to inputs on another.
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg B View Post
Yes, you'd want to connect the outputs from your MPC to the inputs on the Projectmix (could be 1+2, 3+4, or whatever) and then route those inputs to your desired outputs on the Projectmix using the mixer (basicly treating the MPC as you would a pair of microphones). Outputs of one device must go to inputs on another.
Thanks so much man. I will try it when i get home from work tonight.
Old 16th September 2011
Gear Head

i still cant seem to figure out how to send the imputs using the mixer page i have my speakers in line out 1&2 and i put my MPC in the imputs 1&2 and just dont know what to click from there
Old 18th September 2011
Here for the gear

Hello,

i have recently purchased a mac os x 2 krk rokit 5, a project mix o/s and i am using protools for all of this i hooked everything up but i still dont hear anything from my monitor speakers. The project mix uses a firewire, so i have connected the firewire and everything i also have other amp connected to the mac to play regular songs when im not cooking up beats.

Can someone help me in fixing this problem.

So altogether i have
1. Mac mini lion os
2. 2 krk rokits
3. Project mix o/s
4. Mpc 2000xl
5. M-audio axiom 49

need help in connecting all of this plzzzz

thanks in advance
Old 18th September 2011
Gear Addict

Wow, this thread is a train wreck.
Old 24th February 2012
Gear Maniac

OMG

funny as hell! LMFAO!

Now then, quite simply, the Project Mix IO is NOT a standalone mixer and must have a computer to operate or you will here nothing come out of it. It has no direct monitoring (passthrough of the inputs to the outputs directly) and needs the firewire bus to pass audio back through its software foy you to hear anything. I know this cause I own one and have tried that route before and it just is not designed to do that.

Now then, it excells as an IO and DAW controller, especially for Protools.
Now, a good bet is to have the manual handy and it is herehttp://www.m-audio.com/images/global...ix_UG_EN01.pdf
It has valuable information.

OK. setup of projectmix hardware IO
Make sure all power to equipment is off when plugging unplugging audio and firewire as well as power cables.
1) ASR-10 out to PMix IO IN 1&2
2) MPC 4K outs to PMix IO in 3&4
3) All your other gear to the rest of the inputs on Pmix IO

Install PM IO driver on computer.
the latest drivers are here:
M-AUDIO - Drivers and Software Search
Shut computer down.

Ensure you have some headphones plugged in to the headphone jack or speakers pluged into the back OUTPUTS! (iE 1234 OUT TO THE SPEAKERS)
Plug in firewire cable to computer and PMix IO.
Turn on your musical instruments
Boot up computer.
Make sure the 'gain; pots at the top row (near where your instruments are plugged in to the INPUTS) are turned up halfway and also set the pushbutton to 'line' RATHER THAN MIC (or it will distort and possibly blow your mic preamps)

Open the computers control panel (or Mac system) and make sure it is set to PMix IO as the default soundcard.
Open the PMix IO software Control Panel (that was installed when you installed the latest driver for your system-Page 11 of the PMix IO user manual) and go to the 'MIXER' tab.
Play a couple of keys on your synths to see if the LED lights on the PMix IO Control Panel mixer channel inputs light up. They should (providing your keyboards are ON and outputting sound when you play the keys). You sould hear sound coming out of your headphones and speakers and also see the channels in your DAW LED's light up too. Also, not to be condescending, but your samplers have INPUTS too, make sure you have OUTputs of Samplers to INPUTS on PMix IO and OUTputs of PMix IO to your Speakers.

Open your DAW and ensure that the inputs and outputs of your DAW channels are set to the PMix IO and you should be able to record away.
Good luck!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search