The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
So... where do I start? Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 11th September 2011
So... where do I start?

I have a 2006/7 MacBook Pro. It's pretty bad. I swapped the RAM cards so now it's 2 gig but it's still pretty old... I can deal with it though.

I have a Yamaha PSR-240 that I use as a Midi Controller, and I use Logic Studio. I'm currently really into making Hip-Hop beats, but only really started getting serious about it a couple months ago. I really trying to improved me sound, so forgive me if I sound a little all over the place here.

What I really wanna know is how I can get that 'banging' Hip-Hop kick drum, like the one Kanye uses on Lil Wayne's "Comfortable" for example. A lot of people I've asked so far have told me to just sample it, and if that's the answer then can someone tell me exactly how to do that?

Thanks,
Olivia
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

What they mean by sample it, is use pre recorded drum samples. Look for popular Sample Libaries. They will contain samples that you can use in Logic to make beats.
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

No, dont sample the Kanye track. Thats a cheap shortcut. Try to emulate the sound using your own samples. You can probably come up with something close, and you will actually learn about sound design. Try googling free drum samples or drum library, fxpansion, goldbaby, see what you get.
Old 28th March 2013
Thanks for that advice, guys. I have a few more questions on the same topic, a couple years on!

So I'm still remaking beats and trying to understand how many of the producers I admire get their sound, and once again I've hit a wall in finding decent sounding kick drums and snares. Sadly, when I posted that, I don't think I saw your responses til now, so I haven't made any great effort to check out drum samples since back then. A few of the producers I spoke to said that I've gotta find out the sound myself, as obviously no big beatmaker's gonna put out the secret to a good kick drum if it took them hours to find themselves.

One of the producers I met uses a plugin called Battery in Logic Pro, and I've considered buying that just to have some better basic drum sounds to work with. Is it worth going down that route and just buying the best kit sounds I can find, making them myself, or looking through sample archives? I don't want to waste my money if that's not the best way to go about things.

And if so, what are the best sound kits I could buy? I was considering saving up for Komplete 9, as I hear of a lot of different producers and musicians alike using that, but it's super expensive. If I'm to be completely honest, I've never bought a sound kit before so I have no clue how to be savvy in what I buy. Would I be able to buy an older version of Komplete or would it be a waste of time, for instance? Could I get away with buying one of those £10 Lex Luger kits on the internet, just to play around with?

I'd appreciate whatever advice you got on this one
Old 28th March 2013
Lives for gear

hey Blaccfriday,
to be honest man, and this is just my opinion. There is a ton of free samples here on gearslutz, there are all kinds of free samples on looperman.com why pay for someone elses work when its the work you want to do? just my opinion. also all the things you try trying to create that sound of the "big kick" are going to be weapons in your arsenal once you find what your looking for. so like Cdog said I recommend you try to do it on your own. otherwise youll be a one trick pony.
Old 28th March 2013
So why do so many people use Battery? All I'm using atm are Logic Pro's own instruments, and the drums feel a bit limited. I can't really find the sounds that I want from the samples I'm looking at, I have a feeling maybe I didn't explain properly.
Old 29th March 2013
Lives for gear

no you explained fine, I just answered what I could. why not get the free samples? when paying for them, all your buying is samples someone else processed. with the free loops there is much more room for you to tinker with them.
Batteries is a good program, I never owned it but got to mess around with it a few times. but from my limited experience its not good for my workflow. it may be great for you I cant say. The thing I didnt like about the native instruments stuff, was that there was so much it was hard to get anything accomplished. there are tools to help you find a type of sound. but even then Im the type to tweak it. I could spend hours to ultimately either change the production direction completely or not like the direction I went. also it was the only program that made me want to use presets. cuz there is so much.
Old 29th March 2013
Gear Head

samples the hits.
Old 29th March 2013
Gear Head

Check out the steven slate drums library too.
Old 29th March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdog View Post
No, dont sample the Kanye track. Thats a cheap shortcut. Try to emulate the sound using your own samples. You can probably come up with something close, and you will actually learn about sound design. Try googling free drum samples or drum library, fxpansion, goldbaby, see what you get.

why people want to copy others sounds so when it's played someone can go "Oh thats Kanye's sounds" when it really wasn't ...Like the guys needs anymore credibility than he has...Rather than create their own unique sound is BEYONNNDD me!
Old 7th April 2013
To be honest with you Jaynm26, because it's easier. Because if you have musical ideas that keep getting stifled by a lack of good kits, when the drums weren't even what you wanted to focus on improving on a track, it gets super frustrating. Kanye sampled beats from Dr. Dre's "The Chronic", Dr. Dre probably sampled somebody else... I just feel like spending hours trying to figure out a good kick for one particular song from a bunch of obscure samples is beside the point. I think, looking at things from here, I'd rather tweak some samples that have already been chopped up and polished, say in Battery or something, just to get some confidence in my sound.

Again, thanks guys. I may end up going back to these sample libraries to learn the basics anyways :D
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search