The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
compressing while recording problems Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 11th September 2011
Here for the gear

compressing while recording problems

Im trying to compress my signal while recording and using a condenser mic but I get no signal. It works when using a dynamic mic so it must be a phantom power issue. For some reason I cant figure out where the issue is (probably right in front of my face).

My set up right is:

condenser mic > mic panel > Samson S patch + > 003 rack+

Im trying to patch in my dbx 266xl.

Ive tried switching from normal to half normal on the patch point with the mic and ive tried thru on the compressor patch points.

the patchbay is 1/4" TRS. I have 1/4" TRS to XLR cables plugged into the dbx

Any help would be awesome!!!
Old 11th September 2011

Where are you patching in the compressor? It's not meant to go between the mic and the 003..

matt
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

The compressor will only work with signals that are "Line Level." A microphone signal is much weaker and needs to be amplified (with a mic preamp) to bring it up to line level. Since the preamp in this case is you 003 you need to use the "insert" point on the 003 to "insert" your compressor. This will put the compressor in-between the mic preamp and the converter.

FWIW...I would not consider the 266 compressor "special" enough to bother using on the way in. Pretty much any plugin comp will give you better results.

-Chris
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search