The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
AKG c214 or At4033 Condenser Microphones
Old 10th September 2011
AKG c214 or At4033

I know mic threads have been done a million times, but I can't seem to find any information relevant to my specific questions about these. I'm looking for my first condenser mic. Make fun of me all you want, but I've tracked everything to date with an sm 57 and a sm7b. I track metal, rap, and acoustic as my main genres. For metal, its obvious that I use the sm7b, but I'm looking for a something that will serve as a good vocal mic (for clean vox in metal and for rap vocals) and can double to give me a decent sound on an acoustic guitar. I know that these are pretty wide requests and pretty generic. I also know that 400 bucks (both are msrp 400) isn't a lot for a condenser mic, but its all I got. When I'm not tracking metal, neither of my two dynamic mics have enough output gain to please my pre amp, so I'm looking for a strong signal (which I expect in a mic with a built in amp).

For some reason I'm leaning more towards the AKG c214 because it uses that same capsule as the 414..which sounds awesome to me.
Old 10th September 2011
Jai guru deva om

Nobody's gonna laugh...we all gotta start somewhere.

We have both of those mics in our Clipalator, on the same sources.

See what you hear...

War
Old 10th September 2011
Thats pretty cool, to my ear, it sounds like the 214 has a little bit more clarity to it. Are all these unprocessed or have they been put through eq, comp, etc.?
Old 11th September 2011
Here for the gear

Haven't heard the clipalator or the 214. If the 214 truly sounds the same as the 414, only lacking pattern choices, it would be a smoother all around mic than the 4033, which has an upper midrange/low treble boost that could be useful and advantageous for some things, but on many things could sound a bit more strident than the 414.
Old 23rd September 2011
Lives for gear

I own them both and found the AKG c214 is a smoother silkier mic over the at4033, both have their purposes, the at4033 for acoustics anyday, akg c214 for certain vocals and amp cabs...I dont have the 414 as to the high expense (im a poor untrained musician)....
Old 29th September 2011
I got my c214 in the mail today, only did a slight vocal test on it, but I'm hoping to really get to dig in and do a few sessions within the week!
Old 28th June 2014
Here for the gear

I was thinking the same thing about these mics. However, I need them more for overheads then as a vocal mic. Any thoughts?
Old 29th June 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRockandRoll View Post
I was thinking the same thing about these mics. However, I need them more for overheads then as a vocal mic. Any thoughts?
Well, seeing as this thread is 3 years old, I've gained a bunch of mics since this thread. Got some little blondies, got 3 kel mics (hm7u, hm3c, and an hm2d), another 57.. Etc.

My opinion is out of these mics, the HM7U has the cleanest sound.. Compared to the other mics, it has the least amount of low-mid range mud... Clean mic. Bad news is the company just closed the doors and are starting up a new brand of mics that are much higher in price, but if you can find yourself an hm7u on eBay or used somewhere, pick it up! That's my advice. They were about 400 USD new, so many 250-300 used. I was lucky enough to get it during a kel Xmas special.. Bought the hm7u and got the hm3c for free.
Old 29th June 2014
My next venture will be a tube mic... Gonna have to really save my pennies for this one, Oceanus by Lauten Audio. Also enjoying the Atlantis sound samples too.. But these mics are extremely out of my price range, but maybe one day!
Old 31st May 2018
Here for the gear

I am also interested in this thread, what was the verdict in the end?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search