The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What do I need in an audio Interface to hook up my monitors? Audio Interfaces
Old 10th September 2011
  #1
Here for the gear
 

What do I need in an audio Interface to hook up my monitors?

OK I know this is prob obvious but none of the suggested threads answered...

so...

I need this hook up: Monitors <-Audio Interface <-Laptop

I usually used to un my laptop DAW through an Audio DJ 4 [traktor AI] and the Audio $ DJ into my channels on my DJM, and my monitors went out the back of the DJM via XLR leads. [my monitors are nEar 05 experience ones if that makes a difference]

So, now I'm living in a situation where I have my laptop monitors and nothing else, so what sort of audio interfaces have masters out at the back liek DJM 600? do they exist? I also need 48v phantom power for a mix too.

This appears to ahve it...MOTU 828 MK III HYBRID - Thomann UK Cyberstore

do I really have to pay that much?

thanks in advance
Old 10th September 2011
  #2
Hows come you can't use TRS outputs? Most monitors I've seen are able to accept both TRS and XLR in the back...I would go with the m-powered interfaces...they have phantom power and trs outputs. Just my opinion.
Old 10th September 2011
  #3
Here for the gear
 

Sorry I can use TRS, and those will go into the back of most decent audio interfaces?

What is m-powered?
Old 10th September 2011
  #4
Lives for gear
 
stella645's Avatar
 

Most all interfaces will have outputs you can connect to your monitors & the best bet to connect to your laptop would be USB...& no you don't need to spend anything like that type of money.

I'm a little confused by this part of your post...maybe just a typo?:

Quote:
I also need 48v phantom power for a mix too.
Do you mean for a mic?

If you need just 1 or 2 microphone/line inputs & monitor outputs take a look at this...you could get cheaper but this is a very good performer for the money.

FOCUSRITE SAFFIRE 6 USB - Thomann UK Cyberstore
Old 10th September 2011
  #5
Lives for gear
 
skyshooter's Avatar
I bought a close out Mackie Onyx Satellite - very cool little unit, it has a base station for the home studio, the interface pops out when you want to use it remotely. Has hook ups for what you need to get started (monitors, and a couple of headphones). I kept mine though I've upgraded since. It cost less than $100.00 from Musicians Friend, so not a big investment. Sounded pretty good too. I'm not sure if it has USB though I use FireWire for connecting my interfaces.

Here is a link to it;
http://www.mackie.com/products/satellite/
Old 10th September 2011
  #6
Lives for gear
 
stella645's Avatar
 

The Mackie Satellite sounds great with the Onyx pres, but it is firewire only & I wouldn't recommend it unless you can check compatibility with your laptop first.
(Assuming you have f/w)
Old 12th September 2011
  #7
Lives for gear
 
skyshooter's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by stella645 View Post
The Mackie Satellite sounds great with the Onyx pres, but it is firewire only & I wouldn't recommend it unless you can check compatibility with your laptop first.
(Assuming you have f/w)
Yes it is only Firewire, just checked, as I have not had it out for a few months and I'm in the middle of moving (again) so everything is in a storage unit. I'm sure there are other companies offering USB interfaces, MOTU comes to mind they have the "microline" and MOTU is quality stuff.
The Satellite does sound great, I was very impressed having purchased it on a whim with no real study involved, but it was so cheap at the time for me, sure glad I picked it up, I have even used it a few times remotely with just the box, at a club doing vocals and guitar for a friend. Worked great on my laptop, no issues at all recording for about an hour at 44.1KHz/24 bit, no pops or clicks, all audio was sounding great.
Old 13th September 2011
  #8
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stella645 View Post
Most all interfaces will have outputs you can connect to your monitors & the best bet to connect to your laptop would be USB...& no you don't need to spend anything like that type of money.

I'm a little confused by this part of your post...maybe just a typo?:



Do you mean for a mic?

If you need just 1 or 2 microphone/line inputs & monitor outputs take a look at this...you could get cheaper but this is a very good performer for the money.

FOCUSRITE SAFFIRE 6 USB - Thomann UK Cyberstore
cheers for the replies

sorry about that, yeah a meant mic, as in a condenser mic, it doesn;t say on thomann that the focusrite has 48v phantom power, does it? i also need to put a guitar through the audio interface.
Old 18th September 2011
  #9
Here for the gear
 
CtotheT's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyshooter View Post
I bought a close out Mackie Onyx Satellite - very cool little unit, it has a base station for the home studio, the interface pops out when you want to use it remotely. Has hook ups for what you need to get started (monitors, and a couple of headphones). I kept mine though I've upgraded since. It cost less than $100.00 from Musicians Friend, so not a big investment. Sounded pretty good too. I'm not sure if it has USB though I use FireWire for connecting my interfaces.

Here is a link to it;
Mackie - Satellite FireWire Recording System
Awesome, thanks for this! Been looking for firewire interface's. Also been looking at the Onyx series of mixers but I may just make an investment into something like the Focusrite Saffire Pro 40. Just thinking of if i need more channels in the future. Anybody have good experiences with the Focusrite?
Old 3rd October 2011
  #10
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by CtotheT View Post
Awesome, thanks for this! Been looking for firewire interface's. Also been looking at the Onyx series of mixers but I may just make an investment into something like the Focusrite Saffire Pro 40. Just thinking of if i need more channels in the future. Anybody have good experiences with the Focusrite?
I have the Saffire Pro 40, and its a nice little machine. I upgraded to it from an M-Audio Fast Track..., so its a huge step up. I don't think I'll ever use as many inputs or outputs as it provides, so it'll provide you with a lot of room as your studio grows in the future. I like the change from USB to Firewire as well. The mixer control software (which you must use, the unit is not standalone) is a overwhelming at first, but after playing around with it you get used to it. I have two Rokit 6 monitor speakers attached to it but I'm not getting a lot of volume out of the device however. I'm looking into this, I'm sure there's a way to get it louder!
Old 21st October 2011
  #11
Here for the gear
 
CtotheT's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardiackid View Post
I have the Saffire Pro 40, and its a nice little machine. I upgraded to it from an M-Audio Fast Track..., so its a huge step up. I don't think I'll ever use as many inputs or outputs as it provides, so it'll provide you with a lot of room as your studio grows in the future. I like the change from USB to Firewire as well. The mixer control software (which you must use, the unit is not standalone) is a overwhelming at first, but after playing around with it you get used to it. I have two Rokit 6 monitor speakers attached to it but I'm not getting a lot of volume out of the device however. I'm looking into this, I'm sure there's a way to get it louder!
Haha! I was looking at getting the Rokit 6 monitors too!
Weird about the volume though. I'll have to look into it before I make any purchases
Old 23rd October 2011
  #12
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by CtotheT View Post
Haha! I was looking at getting the Rokit 6 monitors too!
Weird about the volume though. I'll have to look into it before I make any purchases
The problem I had was that the "Active Monitor Pad" setting was checked..., after unchecking it I had full power!
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump