The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What do I need in an audio Interface to hook up my monitors? Audio Interfaces
Old 10th September 2011
Here for the gear

What do I need in an audio Interface to hook up my monitors?

OK I know this is prob obvious but none of the suggested threads answered...

so...

I need this hook up: Monitors <-Audio Interface <-Laptop

I usually used to un my laptop DAW through an Audio DJ 4 [traktor AI] and the Audio $ DJ into my channels on my DJM, and my monitors went out the back of the DJM via XLR leads. [my monitors are nEar 05 experience ones if that makes a difference]

So, now I'm living in a situation where I have my laptop monitors and nothing else, so what sort of audio interfaces have masters out at the back liek DJM 600? do they exist? I also need 48v phantom power for a mix too.

This appears to ahve it...MOTU 828 MK III HYBRID - Thomann UK Cyberstore

do I really have to pay that much?

thanks in advance
Old 10th September 2011
Hows come you can't use TRS outputs? Most monitors I've seen are able to accept both TRS and XLR in the back...I would go with the m-powered interfaces...they have phantom power and trs outputs. Just my opinion.
Old 10th September 2011
Here for the gear

Sorry I can use TRS, and those will go into the back of most decent audio interfaces?

What is m-powered?
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Most all interfaces will have outputs you can connect to your monitors & the best bet to connect to your laptop would be USB...& no you don't need to spend anything like that type of money.

I'm a little confused by this part of your post...maybe just a typo?:

Quote:
I also need 48v phantom power for a mix too.
Do you mean for a mic?

If you need just 1 or 2 microphone/line inputs & monitor outputs take a look at this...you could get cheaper but this is a very good performer for the money.

FOCUSRITE SAFFIRE 6 USB - Thomann UK Cyberstore
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

I bought a close out Mackie Onyx Satellite - very cool little unit, it has a base station for the home studio, the interface pops out when you want to use it remotely. Has hook ups for what you need to get started (monitors, and a couple of headphones). I kept mine though I've upgraded since. It cost less than $100.00 from Musicians Friend, so not a big investment. Sounded pretty good too. I'm not sure if it has USB though I use FireWire for connecting my interfaces.

Here is a link to it;
http://www.mackie.com/products/satellite/
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

The Mackie Satellite sounds great with the Onyx pres, but it is firewire only & I wouldn't recommend it unless you can check compatibility with your laptop first.
(Assuming you have f/w)
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stella645 View Post
The Mackie Satellite sounds great with the Onyx pres, but it is firewire only & I wouldn't recommend it unless you can check compatibility with your laptop first.
(Assuming you have f/w)
Yes it is only Firewire, just checked, as I have not had it out for a few months and I'm in the middle of moving (again) so everything is in a storage unit. I'm sure there are other companies offering USB interfaces, MOTU comes to mind they have the "microline" and MOTU is quality stuff.
The Satellite does sound great, I was very impressed having purchased it on a whim with no real study involved, but it was so cheap at the time for me, sure glad I picked it up, I have even used it a few times remotely with just the box, at a club doing vocals and guitar for a friend. Worked great on my laptop, no issues at all recording for about an hour at 44.1KHz/24 bit, no pops or clicks, all audio was sounding great.
Old 13th September 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stella645 View Post
Most all interfaces will have outputs you can connect to your monitors & the best bet to connect to your laptop would be USB...& no you don't need to spend anything like that type of money.

I'm a little confused by this part of your post...maybe just a typo?:

Do you mean for a mic?

If you need just 1 or 2 microphone/line inputs & monitor outputs take a look at this...you could get cheaper but this is a very good performer for the money.

FOCUSRITE SAFFIRE 6 USB - Thomann UK Cyberstore
cheers for the replies

sorry about that, yeah a meant mic, as in a condenser mic, it doesn;t say on thomann that the focusrite has 48v phantom power, does it? i also need to put a guitar through the audio interface.
Old 18th September 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyshooter View Post
I bought a close out Mackie Onyx Satellite - very cool little unit, it has a base station for the home studio, the interface pops out when you want to use it remotely. Has hook ups for what you need to get started (monitors, and a couple of headphones). I kept mine though I've upgraded since. It cost less than $100.00 from Musicians Friend, so not a big investment. Sounded pretty good too. I'm not sure if it has USB though I use FireWire for connecting my interfaces.

Here is a link to it;
Mackie - Satellite FireWire Recording System
Awesome, thanks for this! Been looking for firewire interface's. Also been looking at the Onyx series of mixers but I may just make an investment into something like the Focusrite Saffire Pro 40. Just thinking of if i need more channels in the future. Anybody have good experiences with the Focusrite?
Old 3rd October 2011
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by CtotheT View Post
Awesome, thanks for this! Been looking for firewire interface's. Also been looking at the Onyx series of mixers but I may just make an investment into something like the Focusrite Saffire Pro 40. Just thinking of if i need more channels in the future. Anybody have good experiences with the Focusrite?
I have the Saffire Pro 40, and its a nice little machine. I upgraded to it from an M-Audio Fast Track..., so its a huge step up. I don't think I'll ever use as many inputs or outputs as it provides, so it'll provide you with a lot of room as your studio grows in the future. I like the change from USB to Firewire as well. The mixer control software (which you must use, the unit is not standalone) is a overwhelming at first, but after playing around with it you get used to it. I have two Rokit 6 monitor speakers attached to it but I'm not getting a lot of volume out of the device however. I'm looking into this, I'm sure there's a way to get it louder!
Old 21st October 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardiackid View Post
I have the Saffire Pro 40, and its a nice little machine. I upgraded to it from an M-Audio Fast Track..., so its a huge step up. I don't think I'll ever use as many inputs or outputs as it provides, so it'll provide you with a lot of room as your studio grows in the future. I like the change from USB to Firewire as well. The mixer control software (which you must use, the unit is not standalone) is a overwhelming at first, but after playing around with it you get used to it. I have two Rokit 6 monitor speakers attached to it but I'm not getting a lot of volume out of the device however. I'm looking into this, I'm sure there's a way to get it louder!
Haha! I was looking at getting the Rokit 6 monitors too!
Weird about the volume though. I'll have to look into it before I make any purchases
Old 23rd October 2011
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by CtotheT View Post
Haha! I was looking at getting the Rokit 6 monitors too!
Weird about the volume though. I'll have to look into it before I make any purchases
The problem I had was that the "Active Monitor Pad" setting was checked..., after unchecking it I had full power!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search