The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Missing Anything? Keyboard Workstations
Old 10th September 2011
Here for the gear

Missing Anything?

Hi guys,

I am new to this whole music making and I have a really hard time starting something if I have to stop later on due to lack of materials. I'm not looking to have all of the equipment out there, I would just like to know if I have the basic equipment needed to make music made by artists such as Kanye West, J.R. Rotem, Scott Storch, Dr. Dre, Lex Luger, just to name a few. I know everyone has different equipment and that is why I am starting this new thread because I know probably no one has the same set up that I do. Anyways, here are the starter equipment that I own:

Yamaha YPG-235 (electronic keyboard)
Beats by Dre headphones
Logic Studio
Share Popper Stopper
Macbook Pro
GarageBand
Cakewalk by Roland UA-25 EX (24-bit/96 KHz USB Audio Capture)
Akai MPC 500
A couple of microphone cables and other cables to connect things here and there.

I was wondering if I would need a MIDI keyboard or if the Yamaha would suffice? Please let me know if there is anything that I NEED to make music like the aforementioned artists or if what I currently have is enough.

Thanks in advance for the feedback!
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Your keyboard is likely already a MIDI Keyboard..just use a midi cable or midi to USB cable to your computer. Then you can open Logic, open virtual instruments, and write music..while listening on the headphones.

You may want an interface to use mics with and hook up monitor speakers.
Old 10th September 2011

microphones
monitors (speakers)

matt
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Monitors, or a pair of more balanced headphones (Sennheiser HD600's, Beyer Dynamic DT880 Pro's) I know from experience that mixing on a pair of Beats By Dre (Studio) is far from ideal... they aren't brilliant for translating mixes, stuff will sound great on them, and awful on something else... No doubt they are great for just listening to music, and maybe it'll be a good idea to mix on something more balanced, and then just listen to the mix back on the beats.
Old 10th September 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjew24 View Post
Your keyboard is likely already a MIDI Keyboard..just use a midi cable or midi to USB cable to your computer. Then you can open Logic, open virtual instruments, and write music..while listening on the headphones.

You may want an interface to use mics with and hook up monitor speakers.
that sounds great! when you say an interface to use mics and hook up monitor speakers, what exactly do you mean? Does the Cakewalk by Roland UA-25 EX not function as that kind of interface? Can you give me some examples of this "interface to use mics and speakers" so I can go look around?
Old 10th September 2011
Here for the gear

thanks matt!
Old 10th September 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebailey92 View Post
Monitors, or a pair of more balanced headphones (Sennheiser HD600's, Beyer Dynamic DT880 Pro's) I know from experience that mixing on a pair of Beats By Dre (Studio) is far from ideal... they aren't brilliant for translating mixes, stuff will sound great on them, and awful on something else... No doubt they are great for just listening to music, and maybe it'll be a good idea to mix on something more balanced, and then just listen to the mix back on the beats.
Thanks for the input! That's what I've been getting from people so I am probably going to sell the beats and get another set of headphones or speakers or maybe even both! Any speakers you would recommend?
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

Oh sorry briz, I thought by CAkewalk you meant the software. That is an interface, my bad. You need TRS 1/4" cables to connect studio monitors to the interfaces main outputs.

You need a decent microphone, cable, and stand.
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear
7200rpm external hard drive. Don't record to internal drive. When it starts filling up it will slow down.
Old 11th September 2011

You should mix on monitors and not headphones.

matt
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

Matt's right, absolutely mix on monitors if you can, but if you've just got a laptop and you're on the move, then it's a good idea to have a pair of headphones as well; plus you can mix on the monitors and listen back on headphones, just to give an idea of how the mix sounds on something different... as for recommending monitors, I'd say just search Gearslutz, there's tonnes of threads comparing monitors, just find a thread that's in your price range and check it out.
Old 11th September 2011
Here for the gear

Thanks a bunch for all of the feedback! I will definitely get myself a pair of speakers and maybe search for new headphones!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search