The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Editing Dynamic Microphones
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Head
Editing

I have started stripping silences out of my kicks and snares since I find it necessary to get a real close sound since I dont use a lot of gating/processing with my input signals.

(I use some combination of md 421, sm 58 or 57 for snares top and bottom
and a PG 52 for kick)

It lets me add more compression without it pulling the bleeds up. I assumed this a usual practice for someone who doesnt use a whole lot of gating in their input signals. I imagine many out there have found different mics and techniques, effects to get this done in the trackiing process

I have it down to an hour 1/2 to 2 hours to edit 10 minutes of kick and snares this way. I feel its results are definitely worth the time but wanna hear other techniques.
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Gating and chopping audio regions by hand... those are pretty much the two ways of doing it.

Gating benefits are that it's faster and easier, and with careful hold/release/reduction settings can be much more transparent. Drawbacks are that the threshold might miss quiet hits and be triggered by other parts of the kit.

I rarely find it necessary/audible to gate/cut the audio between kicks, though occasionally hat and cymbal bleed in the snare mic can justify the surgery.
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

If you're working in ProTools, "strip silence" can save you some time chopping it up. Just set your threshold to let your hits through...process...

Howie J
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Geez, maybe I am doing something wrong, but I never have to do all that cleaning up and I do not gate on the way in.

I guess my approach is more of a natural, whole kit method.

I feel like reasonable levels, good mics, decent pres and a well tuned kit is all I need to get the sounds I am looking for.
Old 10th September 2011
Gear Head
Yep I use strip silence ofcourse. I feel Ive gotten pretty efficient with it. still depending on how versatile the song is 1 hour to 2 hours for 10 minutes of kicks and snares. I never found strip silences to work for an entire song. I usually highlight about 15 to 30 seconds of audio of make sure it looks good and get rid of the bleeds move along to next section and repeat until song is finished. After that go through afterwards making sure they sound natural. fade some hits or whatever.

I will experiment with a input volume and gate setting that is a happy medium perhaps it will tame good amount of the bleed. Maybe record too inputs. one with without... Experiment with ducking the snare track with toms on certain parts?

Drumagog or similar users? Has anyone had success using one of these programs to quickly blend or replace drums.
Old 10th September 2011
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdier View Post
I feel like reasonable levels, good mics, decent pres and a well tuned kit is all I need to get the sounds I am looking for.
You mean to say you must be doing something right. I wish I could get around doing all the slicing and get the sound I want. I wish I could get away with keeping it simple but find otherwise in my recording.

Decent Acoustics should probably be added which i dont have. I make sure levels are good (-8 to -20) and have a good setup for mics now just no pres and acoustic environment to call my own.

If R.Mutt is also your recording work From what I can hear. your snares definately sound good and I would prefer something similar to that with the heavy music I record just with maybe a bit more "thwack". when i push compression for that effect any bleed that is captured shines through and tends to help the snare sound distant. If i run a gate in the chain after that it doesn't make it much better it terms of sounding closer or natural.

This was the last project I mixed:

Blackwater | Williamsport, PA | Metal / Ambient / Noise | Music, Lyrics, Songs, and Videos | ReverbNation

Last edited by Portsound570; 10th September 2011 at 02:07 AM.. Reason: mis type
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

I don't know, your stuff sounds pretty good to me. Not my type of music, but you certainly got some drum sounds there.

With compression on snare (in my set up, where I cannot edit each hit) I find that the settings have to be finessed. I have messed with samples a bit in the past to accent a single note or start of chorus or something. If find I can crush that **** with a comp and get all kinds of cool sounds.

With my regular snare tracks, I also have some bleed, mostly from the kick, so if I try to crush it, I wind up bringing up the kick.

One approach you can take is using a comp that give you control over the frequencies it effects. Or possibly split your snare sound and on the second track EQ out the kick (and anything else you find offending) then from the EQ into a comp and crush it... that track alone will be goofy sounding, but if you leave in the original track (lightly comped and eq'ed to taste) and mix in the new super crushed snare you might have the sound you are looking for.

Not being super familiar with the sound you are going for makes this a little tough for me. When I think aggressive drums, I think Reign in Blood, and that stuff does not sound edited or heavily gated to me. I feel like I can hear the whole kit singing, not individual drums fighting.

Again, your stuff sounds good.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search