The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Motu 1296 Compatibility Audio Interfaces
Old 8th September 2011
Here for the gear

Motu 1296 Compatibility

OK I'm quite a newbie and I'm in the process of building my first DAW. I just bought a motu 1296 on ebay thinking it was just an AD / DA converter. However, now I'm looking on their website and it says the 1296 only works with Motu's Proprietary audiowire connections. Unfortunately, I have a RME HDSPe AIO PCIe card. Did I just waste my money? Is there anyway I can get these to work together?

Thanks a lot for any response. And sorry for my newbiness
Old 8th September 2011

I don't know it, but I'm pretty sure it's an interface for Motu's cards, not independent converters, so yes, I think you bought the wrong thing..

Although, apparently it has digital in and out too, so maybe it can be set to convert? But you'll probably still need their PCIe card to communicate with the 1296, if it is possible at all. And the digital ins and outs are AES/EBU, whereas I think your RME is adat, so it could be a bit futile..

matt
Old 9th September 2011
Here for the gear

thanks a lot for the response!

I ended up returning the RME yesterday. I seemed like way to much money for just 18 inputs. I'm getting the MOTU 424 PCIe card to the 1296 will be useable.

Cheers.
Old 9th September 2011

you could get another 1296, with PCIe card, to have 24 matching I/Os

I think..

matt
Old 11th September 2011
Here for the gear

Some of the other "audiowire" interfaces had a stand alone mode. The 2408 did analogue in to ADAT out in a standalone mode. A 1296 manual should have a page or two on standalone /converter mode if it has that capability.
Probably a single PCI card will handle 3 or 4 interfaces so if you see a 1296 for sale with it's computer card that could be a better value than the card alone if you have any possible use for additional inputs. Make sure you get the correct computer card ( i.e. PCI-e424 or PCI x or 324 cards) for you computer. MOTU interfaces have a good reputation for stability on MAC's but more reports problems with drivers and stuff on PC's, though it's hard to know how many people never have problems.
Old 11th September 2011
Here for the gear

I've never had issues with my 2408mkII/324 system. However it's obsolete, no win7 drivers, so I'll have to upgrade to the 424 core card to use it with the up to date i7 machine I just bought.

Apparently in june the win7 driver literally died because of a system date issue. A fix went out right away but people freaked. I still have my old XP os/driver, so I didn't notice.

I seriously thinking about the BLA analog mods: the MOTU stuff uses the same converter ICs as the really high end crowd, so apparently upgrading the analog ICs brings the sound to a whole new weight class. Mine has always sounded good enough for rock and roll.
Old 25th September 2012
I have a 2408 MOTU MKII and MOTU 424 card.

My A/B between the 1296 (only having used one in logic) and the 2408 (only having used one in cubase) is that the 1296 sounded significantly better. Now I know the bounce engines and all make a huge difference but I was on the same monitors and I think the logic/1296 chain was a step up. Mind you I have heard incredible mixes come out of both programs.

I was just looking into the RME cards. Now I'm looking for an objective answer as to if the RME cards work with the 1296's or not. The RME cards in general seem to be of higher quality than the 424 from what I can derive.
Old 19th July 2015
Here for the gear

Dear Buildafriend & everyone,

Have you (in the end) found out whether an(y) RME card would work with the 1296 ?
Is there any (other than RME) PCMCIA card (or Expresscard ?) that the 1296 (or 2408) would work with ?
In other words, is there a way to use the 1296 (or 2408) with a PC laptop ?

Thank you..
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search