The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Focusrite saffire pro, Octo Pre Mk11 & Behringer ADA 8000 Audio Interfaces
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Head

Focusrite saffire pro, Octo Pre Mk11 & Behringer ADA 8000

Hi I have the following gear in my home studio. Focusrirte Saffire Pro 40, Focusrite Octo Pre M11, and the Behringer ADA8000. I have the Octo pre going out tho the Saffire pro with ADAT cable and can see all the eight ADAT channels in my DAW. Now I want to connect up the Behringer to get even more ADAT channels. Do I need to come from the Behringer ADA into the Saffrie pro, as I have done with the Octo pre and set the Behringers clock sync to master?

Will all this equipment work together, and with a DAW (pro tools)

I know this is not an ideal solution, but the Octopre can't convert the digital to anologue, which is why i purchased the Behringer.
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Head

Anyone?
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Head

Saffire pro 40 has only one ADAT input which means you can connect only 8 channels of external preamps to it that way. Other ways of connecting external pre's to it are via S/PDIF (2 channels) and analog inputs. Tho' using the analog inputs you won't expand your system at all because pro 40 has only 8 analog inputs which already have mic preamps.
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Head

Thanks, for the reply, but what is the ADAT output on the saffire pro used for? I assumed that this could feed the 8 channels back out to another device such as the ADA8000?
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Maniac

You can connect the output to the ADA8000 fine, but it is a bit redundant having it aswell as the octopre. Most people think the analog-digital converters on the ADA8k are excellent, but the pre's a bit

I cant answer your clock question though, but I assume what you said is correct.
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Head

Thanks for your comments. Thinking of selling the octo pre and getting another Saffire pro, focusrite say you can run them together. Any thoughts
Old 10th September 2011
Gear Maniac

That's exactly what I'm saving enough money to do. Do you need 24/32 IO though? If 16 is enough then just the ADA8k and the Pro 40 is a great solution.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search