The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
plug ins pre or post? Audio Interfaces
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Head

plug ins pre or post?

just wondering if i should just record raw material and then use plug ins later or record with plug ins from the start? will compressing and eq'ing from the start allow me to pull some more gain out of them?
Old 8th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by redemption91 View Post
just wondering if i should just record raw material and then use plug ins later or record with plug ins from the start? will compressing and eq'ing from the start allow me to pull some more gain out of them?
Absolutely not (additional gain - which should be the last thing you should be concerned about anyway). Once the signal is digitized, even if you're monitoring through plugs, the damage would already be done.

Additional gain... I always use as little as necessary. I never understood the "as much as I can" types...
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Head

so your saying that if i record a guitar with say eleven rack plug in and then deactivate the plug in after recording... i will still get the eleven rack plug in sound?
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

I don't know of any software that will process audio from the inputs through plugins and record the result. Usually, you're just recording the raw, unprocessed data and just the output monitoring goes through the plugins. Either way, you're just setting yourself up for not knowing how to record because you'll always hear the processed sound and not what you're really getting. You won't gain anything by working this way (no pun intended). I know a lot of people use processing in the analogue domain on the way into the record system, but that is completely different from monitoring a dry signal through plugins. Plus, I've always thought that if you're using EQ & other "fix it" processes before you even hit "record", you're doing something wrong and need to look at your mic technique, instruments, room etc.

Also, as John said, there's absolutely no need to try and force up the levels before mastering at all, forget about the initial record itself. You'll just wind up with nasty sounding audio that's harder to mix and will have virtually no loudness advantage over recording clean, clear tracks.
Old 8th September 2011
t_d
Lives for gear

BIAS Peak will..

Quote:
Originally Posted by wado1942 View Post
I don't know of any software that will process audio from the inputs through plugins and record the result.
Old 8th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by redemption91 View Post
so your saying that if i record a guitar with say eleven rack plug in and then deactivate the plug in after recording... i will still get the eleven rack plug in sound?
If there are plugs that process on the fly (and I'm sure there are, and there are certainly ways of routing so this happens ITB), you'd just darn well better make sure your input levels are proper and reasonable BEFORE you let anything else get in that signal's path.

And why does this stuff always wind up in the mastering forum...?
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Massive.....
Perhaps it's a language thing?
"All things to do with mastering audio!" might through bad translation imply this is a general hints and tips section on how to become a "master" of audio (ie... to get really good at it.)

Just a thought.......
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MASSIVE Master View Post
Absolutely not (additional gain - which should be the last thing you should be concerned about anyway). Once the signal is digitized, even if you're monitoring through plugs, the damage would already be done.

Additional gain... I always use as little as necessary. I never understood the "as much as I can" types...
Exactly.

GR
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search