The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
need help with making beats! DAW Software
Old 7th September 2011
Here for the gear

need help with making beats!

im very confused about this whole beat making process,

I have protools 8le
Fl studio 10 producer edition

Everytime i look at a studio they always have like keyboards and beat pads....
basically what im asking is what kind of keyboard do i need? and what is a beat pad? i mean i know it is a pad that makes beats lol but there are so many different ones out there.... someone help lol
and are these necessary?
Old 7th September 2011
That's kind of like me saying, "Someone tell me how to build a house. I mean I always see hammers and stuff in the hardware store, but like what different kinds of hammers are there?"

Search on Youtube for some beginner tutorials.
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

rite your meludy
mayke drums blang
sang tha huk
git munne
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

also use 40's sekrit beetmaking tekneek
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Maniac

wow ncoak... wow

Astro: go to your local guitar center and play all of the keyboards until you find something you like.
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacSpin
wow ncoak... wow

Astro: go to your local guitar center and play all of the keyboards until you find something you like.
THEN use the ncoak method!

On the very very very real: use YouTube. Watch tutorials for a sec. Boonie Mayfield might be a good place to start.

This simply isn't the best forum for that type of question.

I'm not saying not to frequent gearslutz. I'm saying read first, post later.
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncoak View Post
rite your meludy
mayke drums blang
sang tha huk
git munne
LMAO..so mean

This is such a hard question. because we all have our own preferences. Go to guitar center and play around, take a look at the boxes and ask the workers for details on products you see that look interesting. Youtube is your best resource though.
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Seeing as u don't know what u need u shouldn't buy anything. Use what u have to its full extent and decide where u need help producing. Ie maybe a keyboard controller would help u write melodies maybe a pad controller will make drum programming easier ect. Maybe this or that plug in might offer something I'd like that the ones I have don't ect. The thing with buying gear is every piece should offer something unique to fill a hole that nothing else you have does. That being said no one can really answer this question based on the information given
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

I'd get a 25 or 49 key midi keyboard. It's hard to play melodies on a "beat pad". Drums can be played on a decent velocity sensitive midi keyboard just fine.
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Addict

dude!

forget the keyboards and the pads that make beats - go into your computer and look for the thing that says "loops" or "loop browser" you can grab these loops and drag them into pro tools or fruit loops. the more loops you add the more complex your beat will be
Old 7th September 2011
DAH
Lives for gear

ncoak
kyan me lyorn dat ting dat lengooej u bwai spik? LOL
nice advice though
2 OP: u have fl10 and cant figure out?
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Head

beat pad is a midi controler and "triggers" triggers sounds you hve in your computer. Keyboard does the same if it is only a controller. Some keys have sounds in them, some don't.
read lots and experiment
Old 7th September 2011
Here for the gear

On youtube there's a guy named NFX or WARBEATS, search that on youtube. He'll give explain how to make beats in FL. Very basic, but useful stuff.

You don't NEED any hardware, but it might make the whole process a lot easier. I bought an MPD32 for pads and LPK25 for keys. For the same money I could have bought something like a Axiom 25. I mostly use the LPK25 though, for sample triggering and instrumentation. It's really cheap and will suffice for basic beat making.
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

buy a fantom

you get keys and 'beat pads'

done

now 'git munne' as ^ would say
Old 7th September 2011
Here for the gear

I mean i wasnt posting this thread to get asshole answers, i have been watching turtorials but i was just wanting to know if getting a keyboard and a beat pad were neccessary DAMN! but thanks for the helpful youtube tips.....
Old 7th September 2011
Gax
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astro_Music View Post
I mean i wasnt posting this thread to get asshole answers, i have been watching turtorials but i was just wanting to know if getting a keyboard and a beat pad were neccessary DAMN! but thanks for the helpful youtube tips.....
only you can answer to that question?
do you need keyboard? do you need pad controller for drums?

every beatmaker should own these two basic things, you cant make beats with computer mouse only.
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:

I have protools 8le

basically what im asking is what kind of keyboard do i need? and what is a beat pad? i mean i know it is a pad that makes beats lol but there are so many different ones out there.... someone help lol
and are these necessary?
You are right that you should have at least a keyboard or drum pad. ppl you may have seen getting by w/o one are programming the notes/samples in their beats 1 at a time with the mouse. Which works too and you could do it that way if you want. It can be a good way of learning some music theory and how notes in songs are constructed.. A keyboard or pads can allow you to be more creative though and make inputting the notes a lot quicker and easier. So def get one at some point in the future.
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Nut

Yeah, check out Youtube for some beginner tutorials.
This really isn't the forum to be asking that level of question, unless it's very specific.
Also remember, sample selection is your greatest weapon.
Old 7th September 2011
DAH
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gax View Post

every beatmaker should own these two basic things, you cant make beats with computer mouse only.
Not.
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gax View Post

No offense, but this is wrong advice. He could technically make beats with just a mouse by programming, if thats all he had to work with. Not recommended, but just saying its not impossible like suggested.

Plus, I dont think he knows what he needs thats why he's asking, so I dont get the "only you can answer that". imo, the answer is no, he doesnt need it technically to make music, but it would be wise to get one.
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncoak View Post
also use 40's sekrit beetmaking tekneek
lmao
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by G. Kaye

No offense, but this is wrong advice. He could technically make beats with just a mouse by programming, if thats all he had to work with. Not recommended, but just saying its not impossible like suggested.

Plus, I dont think he knows what he needs thats why he's asking, so I dont get the "only you can answer that". imo, the answer is no, he doesnt need it technically to make music, but it would be wise to get one.
Very well put.
Old 10th September 2011
Quote:

I have protools 8le

and are these necessary?
Go to youtube and check out warbeats tutorials that should get you going in the right direction.It helped me a thousand times over when i first started out.I wish you the best my friend making music is time consuming and i hope you have the patience to asorb it all.Also don't get caught up in buying everything you see someone else with,trust me i went down that road and wasted a lot of money.
Old 11th September 2011
well first you done go find yourselfs one of them booms everybody be talking about. then you go and dig youreselfs up a clap somewheres. thats about it.
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

just start making them. You'll suck at first, most likely, then you'll start to figure it out and suck slightly less. Helps if u know someone who u can call/ chill with who uses the same DAW ur using.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search