The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
I need a great pair of headphones for college Studio Headphones
Old 6th September 2011
Here for the gear

I need a great pair of headphones for college

At college i am studying music and i need a great set of headphones for my composition class. We will be doing audio engineering and also working with stuff such as Logic, pro tools etc. I'm looking for headphones that will deliver great sound for what ilm needing them for. Good bass would be great also. I was hoping a set that would block out alot of noise also. I will be using these headphones within the recording studio also.
I'm only looking to spend £45 maximum and will be willing to buy second hand if i can find ones in good condition.
I think with the scenario that i require the headphones for i would be better of with studio ones?

Any suggestions?
Cheers!

(i also need an adapter for it so preferably a set of headphones that has this included)
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

audio technica atm40, save up a little and get the atm50 if you can swing it. dunno what british pricing will be.
Old 6th September 2011
Here for the gear

what do you guys think about the Sony MDR-XB500 compared to the atm40?

Old 6th September 2011
Gear Head

Yes Audio Technica has a good base mod headphone for around $60.
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Addict

Audio Technica ATH-M50
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintyfreshbeats View Post
Audio Technica ATH-M50
+1 I travel with a pair in my backpack. They also quickly replaced the MDR 7506's in my studio.
Old 6th September 2011
Here for the gear

sennheiser hd series are nice. They cancel out sound pretty well and aren't too colorful. I always use them for placing instruments in my stereo field.
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Head

ATH-50

Sent using Gearslutz.com App
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

nother vote for the ATH M50's...not perfect, but perfect for your budget.
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristanB View Post
sennheiser hd series are nice. They cancel out sound pretty well and aren't too colorful.

Agreed. Just don't care much for the spun wire lead.
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintyfreshbeats View Post
Audio Technica ATH-M50

Agreed. More comfy than the sennheisers.
Old 8th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristanB View Post
sennheiser hd series are nice. They cancel out sound pretty well and aren't too colorful. I always use them for placing instruments in my stereo field.
I have two pairs of the sennheiser hd 280 pros
Old 8th September 2011
Audio Technica ATH-T200..... Cheap, nice, closed back.
Old 21st September 2011
Lives for gear

My vote for the ATH50 also.

But another one for AKG240. Perhaps there are good prices on the old
generation (not MkII)?
Old 21st September 2011
Definitely stretch and get the ATH-M50 kit. Built like a tank. Comfy and has a 1/4" plug that unscrews to an 1/8" plug for your ipod/laptop. They are closed back to filter out all those girlygabbers and desktappers and have excellent bass and imaging. I got a new pair on eBay for $99 USD. Look for the 'best offer' listings and make sure they will ship to the UK.
Old 24th October 2011
Gear Nut

I personally own the XB500's. I really like them for just listening to music, awesome bass, super comfortable. You'll see in the frequency response that they have a 5-10 dB boost up to like 160 hz, but it's integrated into the sound really well. Not maybe the most neutral in the world, but they're a really solid set of headphones. They also are half the price of the ATH-M50's, and they're easy to find.
Old 25th October 2011
Lives for gear

Senheiser hd 650. The best headphones I've used to mixing or referencing. And they are comfortable.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search