The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
easiest way with Zoom H4N to record in mono via XLR input and stereo using built-ins Condenser Microphones
Old 5th September 2011
Here for the gear

easiest way with Zoom H4N to record in mono via XLR input and stereo using built-ins

Just got a Zoom H4n and will be using it to record audio interviews for podcasts, as well as for my own music production.

But for the NPR-like interviews, I want to be able to record the interviewee in mono, as is typical for broadcast, using my SM63 run into one of the XLR inputs on the H4n; and record room ambiance in stereo using the H4n's built-in stereo mics, at the same time.

Sounds feasible, right? It should be. Yet I'm confused on exactly how to do this. The manual doesn't seem to provide this specific setup, and/or seems to record either in stereo mode OR mono, versus stereo AND mono.

Does anyone have any recommendations on how to record in mono using one external mic and stereo at the same time using the built-in mics?

Thanks!

Goal: I'm looking for the best quality recording, with voice in mono and ambiance in stereo, via the easiest method. Let me know, for instance, which setting to record in, Stereo, 4CH or MTR, and then, if getting the voice mono then requires essentially converting the voice recording to true mono using Cubase (or the like) in editing/post-production.
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by skribe00 View Post
Just got a Zoom H4n and will be using it to record audio interviews for podcasts, as well as for my own music production.

But for the NPR-like interviews, I want to be able to record the interviewee in mono, as is typical for broadcast, using my SM63 run into one of the XLR inputs on the H4n; and record room ambiance in stereo using the H4n's built-in stereo mics, at the same time.

Sounds feasible, right? It should be. Yet I'm confused on exactly how to do this. The manual doesn't seem to provide this specific setup, and/or seems to record either in stereo mode OR mono, versus stereo AND mono.

Does anyone have any recommendations on how to record in mono using one external mic and stereo at the same time using the built-in mics?

Thanks!

Goal: I'm looking for the best quality recording, with voice in mono and ambiance in stereo, via the easiest method. Let me know, for instance, which setting to record in, Stereo, 4CH or MTR, and then, if getting the voice mono then requires essentially converting the voice recording to true mono using Cubase (or the like) in editing/post-production.
as i recall the h2 had a mono option
(but keep in mind i dont recall where my car keys are)

doesnt the h4 do more than the h2
RTFM and see if it doesnt mention a mono setting
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear
Says it records 4 tracks. Why would it not do 3. Try it.
Old 6th September 2011
Here for the gear

The answer as far as I've learned in the last six-odd hours is to record in 4CH. However, I've been told that mixing the room/built-in and external recordings may suffer from muddied sound somehow, in post, without doing... who knows what/something else.

Anyone with expert knowledge, please advise.
Old 6th September 2011
Here for the gear

I wondered the same thing after I bought mine. I eventually found something on it, but it took forever. To do what you're talking about, put the recorder in 4 channel mode, than go into menu > input > ms matrix > turn it on (make sure mono mix is off and link 1-2 is on first). Then leave the Mid Level at +0.0, click on Side Level and turn the level down with the scroll wheel until it says "MUTE." Once you've done that, go back and under CH SETTING, set whichever input you want to use to be the MID channel. You can do either. In you're case, you'll probably just want the Left channel set to MID. This way you'll be able to use a mono input and monitor it in the center. If you didn't follow these steps and used the inputs individually, channel 1 will be hard left, and channel 2 will be hard right. So after you're done, back out to the main page, press either the input 1 or input 2 button and adjust mic gain, press the "mic" button to adjust the gain for the built in mics. The same thing is possible in stereo mode too by the way, I use one mic all the time to record sound effects and stuff. I hope this helps. Good luck!
Old 23rd June 2013
Here for the gear

thedeanvel:

thank you thank you thank you!!! i was trying forever to figure that out!! im using the zoom to record an acoustic guitar and lyrics tomorrow, and i wanted to use both the onboard and a boom. I really appreciate your post!
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search