The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Vintage Sound Question Dual-Channel Preamps
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Head

Vintage Sound Question

What gear needs to make vintage sound? I like the colour of jazz sound of 40s - 50s but I want it a bit more modernized.

My search lead me to this:

1) A. Recording sessions with all the musician playing together in the same place.
OR
B. Record Drums, Cntrbass, Guitar all together without the singer . . . and then record Vocals and Piano separately

2) Record on a non specially treated space with ribbon or dynamic mics

What mics should I buy that will be suitable for:

Which ribbon mics do you propose me suitable for Guitar and MaleVocs???
Is there a stereo pair ribbon mic proposed for overheads and room???
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

If you want the sound of the 40's and 50's use some ribbon mics and tube mics and mic the room. Not a lot of close micing. Learn about mic placement for group performance and use bleed to your advantage. Non of this is hard, just a different mind set.
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Go over to Sound-on-Sound magazine's website and read through the "Classic Tracks" articles dissecting how it was originally done.

(You can read any article they've published with only the last six months restricted for subscribers)

There's gold in there....
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Head

Thanks guys! That's very helpfull!

Is there any Ribbon or Tube mic (I'll buy at least 6 mics) to propose me, that is "cheap" (~600-800$) and has a good quality too???
Old 12th March 2012
Gear Head

Flagg Mics are perfect for old vintage sound. Check out the sound samples on the website:
Flagg | Mics
Old 12th March 2012
Gear Nut

If you want the REAL tone of the jazz from the 40's-50's era record everyone at once from one mic and roll off the high's and low's to get that type of frequency curve that was only available at that time through techniques.

To mix, position players accordingly to how loud or quite you want the mix to sound.
Old 12th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by I.A.D View Post
If you want the REAL tone of the jazz from the 40's-50's era record everyone at once from one mic and roll off the high's and low's to get that type of frequency curve that was only available at that time through techniques.

To mix, position players accordingly to how loud or quite you want the mix to sound.
If you use a ribbon, you won't need to roll off the highs. There's a lot more to that sound than just rolling things off. Ribbons and tube pres are it.

I'm guessing that although it was all mono back then, you won't want to forgo on stereo. If you record the entire ensemble with a stereo coincident pair and use placement to get your mix, you'll be astounded with the results, assuming you work at it and you have a nice room.

For cheap, you can get a pair of Apex 205s for about $200, have them upgraded by Michael Joly for another $600 for the pair and have something quite good in the long ribbon style. Don't skimp on the tube mic pres though. No such thing as cheap quality there. If you're lucky you could find a used Manley dual mono for around $1200.
Old 12th March 2012
Old 12th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by potslutz View Post
That's their DI, not their mic pre...
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search