The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Post-mix wav files?
Old 5th September 2011
Here for the gear

Post-mix wav files?

Okay this may be one of those things that people just don't do, but I thought I'd ask...

There are a lot of tips on here, such as "cut 2 db at 80 hz on kick, add 80 hz to bass" etc, that are great tips, assuming that one knows where someone started in the first place. in other words, if i have a kick drum that's already low in 80 hz, then i don't really need to cut anything, for example. so, in theory, this tip would do me more harm than good.

so, assuming that my mic'ing technique is different from the standard, i think what i'd really like to know is what a kick, bass, electric guitar, are supposed to sound like post mix. are there any wav files available of individual post mix instruments that can be used by a newbie for modelling purposes so we can try to get our mixes more in the ball park, or is that one of those no-no's that people don't really do? i always hear people say things like, 'when the guy cut all my lows and did blah blah, the guitars sounded bad on their own'. well, what does that sound like? a wav file would really help.

any thoughts on this?

thanks all...
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwrecks View Post
i think what i'd really like to know is what a kick, bass, electric guitar, are supposed to sound like post mix.
There is no standard answer to this question, because they'll need to sound different for every mix you do. I realise that this sounds like a cop-out, but it's true nonetheless! The main point of mixdown EQ is to compensate for the interactions of the specific set of instruments you're using, so when you change those, the EQ has to change too. The best thing I can suggest is to put your mix up against your favourite records and then work from there.

That said, I have created a lot of listening material over the years that might help you get some perspective on this. First of all, there are my remixes/articles for Sound On Sound's Mix Rescue, which all include detailed audio files demonstrating the processing techniques I've used -- as well as the before/after mixdown files so you can decide whether you actually like what I've done! heh. All but the most recent articles are free to view from the SOS web site, along with the audio files. In addition to this, there are a lot more mixing-related audio files in my free mixing resources pages.
Old 5th September 2011
Here for the gear

not a cop out at all, and i understand why there can't be a standard. thanks very much for the links...the mix rescue stuff is fantastic..extremely helpful. and yes, i do like what you've done with the couple i've checked out so far. thanks for the response and tips!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search