The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Gate Side-Chain
Old 5th September 2011
Here for the gear

Gate Side-Chain

I am using the cubase gate and wondering about the side-chain filter.

Basically, how can it help me, and what situations do you use a side-chain on a gate?

The Cubase instructions don't really offer much info on using it.

Thanks!
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salparadise View Post

Basically, how can it help me, and what situations do you use a side-chain on a gate?

The Cubase instructions don't really offer much info on using it.

Thanks!
I don't use Cubase, but one example would be to have the signal from a snare sent to a side chain input on a gate inserted on a room mike channel. The room mic would open only when triggered by the snare signal.
You are also asking about a side-chain filter. One example would be if there is kik drum bleed on a snare mic you don't want the kik opening the gate inserted on the snare channel. Use the side-chain filter on the gate to roll off the low end until the kik doesn't open the snare channel. The filter will not affect the sound of the snare, only the signal used to trigger the gate.
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

Yeah so basically the when side chaining you are just defining what the gate is listening to. Whatever signal you feed into the gate via the side chain is what the gate will "hear".
Old 5th September 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoff View Post
You are also asking about a side-chain filter. One example would be if there is kik drum bleed on a snare mic you don't want the kik opening the gate inserted on the snare channel. Use the side-chain filter on the gate to roll off the low end until the kik doesn't open the snare channel. The filter will not affect the sound of the snare, only the signal used to trigger the gate.

Thanks guys. It is the side-chain filter that I am asking about; sorry for any confusion there.

OK this sounds like a handy feature.

Keeping the example of the snare mic with kik bleed, would it be fair to say you would activate the High Pass, and so when you hit the s-c monitor button (to basically solo the side chain filter) you wouldn't hear much kik?

Or further, if there was ALSO cymbal bleed, you might activate the Band Pass filter to narrow it down to the snare frequencies?

Have I got this the right way around?
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salparadise View Post
Side-chain filtering with a gate is almost always about trying to get it to trigger reliably. If there's kick spill on your snare mic that makes it tricky to get the gate opening/closing when you want it to, then you could filter out the low end of the side-chain signal to make the gate less sensitive to the kick-drum's low frequencies. Similarly, if there's hi-hat spill on the snare mic that's interfering with the gating action, you might filter out the high frequencies of the side-chain instead to clean up the triggering. What's useful about EQ'ing the side-chain, though, is that it doesn't affect the tone of the gated audio.

There are some audio examples of exactly this kind of gating situation I've described under the "Side-chain EQ For Full-band Dynamics Processors" heading in my free mixing resources. If you want to go further than this and explore some of the possibilities of external side-chain triggering, then check out these two Sound On Sound articles: Cubase Notes February 2008 -- Side-chain Techniques and
Cubase Notes May 2009 -- Ducking At Mixdown
Old 5th September 2011
Here for the gear

Wow. Thanks. I reckon I have it sorted now - well, after I get a bit more practice in at least.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search