The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Upgrading Gear Studio Headphones
Old 4th September 2011
Here for the gear

Upgrading Gear

Hello,

I am looking to replace my recording equipment and I am interested in your opinions. I mainly record acoustic guitar, vocals, and shakers; however, I plan on recording drums in a year when I move out of my apartment. I also try to incorporate synthesized sounds, but I am limited to tweaking presets in Garageband and I would like to upgrade to a program that allows me to build my own sounds from oscillators.

Software

I think Logic Pro would be a good transition because I am familiar with the Garageband interface. I also just bought a USB MIDI keyboard today that contains a watered down version of Ableton Live, but from what I've read, it's geared toward electronic musicians. Regardless, I will try it out when the keyboard arrives.

Audio Interface

I use a Yamaha GO46 firewire audio interface. It only has two inputs, but I only record one instrument at a time. I think the sensitivity of the knobs is unbalanced because the gain knob barely increases the signal until I turn it the last millimeter. I am unsure if my microphone or Garageband would influence the sensitivity, but a millimeter between nothing and clipping is difficult to manage. I am thinking of purchasing the Apogee Duet 2. It's slightly more portable, has the same number of inputs, and many professional studios use higher end Apogee products. I assume that they maintain the quality in their lower price bracket.

Microphones

I only have one microphone, the Samson VR88. It does not produce as much noise as other dynamic microphones, but I would like a condenser to use simultaneously. I am thinking about buying the Blue Bluebird, but I do not know much about microphones. I am not even sure how my Samson VR88 compares to other microphones, so I am fine with purchasing two microphones.

Monitors

I do all of my mixing (and music listening) on AKG K44 headphones. I assume that studio monitors would provide me with a much more accurate sound. I do not know anything about studio monitors, but there are many good reviews on the Yamaha HS50's and Yamaha subwoofer.

Any suggestions are appreciated. I'm hoping to spend at most $600 on each item, but the less expensive they are, the sooner I can save up enough for them. heh

Thanks!
Old 4th September 2011
most of what you listed as what your going for is good choices i feel. i'd say go with them.

the blue you will probably really like. it's a decent mic. the monitors as well.

i have suggestions but there more geared toward what I'm used to and what i look for. so there kinda moot. what you have already mentioned is looking like not only a good choice but your gut instinct.

i will say however to give a try to reaper. it's cheap and pretty decent, but if your after logic that's a much better decision. however it doesn't hurt try trial other things, and reapers trial is uncrippled, so at the very least it could be a learning experience.
Old 4th September 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameal View Post
most of what you listed as what your going for is good choices i feel. i'd say go with them.

the blue you will probably really like. it's a decent mic. the monitors as well.

i have suggestions but there more geared toward what I'm used to and what i look for. so there kinda moot. what you have already mentioned is looking like not only a good choice but your gut instinct.

i will say however to give a try to reaper. it's cheap and pretty decent, but if your after logic that's a much better decision. however it doesn't hurt try trial other things, and reapers trial is uncrippled, so at the very least it could be a learning experience.
Thanks for the response.

I would like to trust my gut feeling, but I'm inexperienced with microphones and studio monitors. My gut feeling was probably telling me to pick the most aesthetic products, not necessarily the most reasonable.

I will check out REAPER, but I am pretty set on Logic Pro. I have a somewhat naive attraction to Apple products.
Old 4th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by intwo View Post
Thanks for the response.

I would like to trust my gut feeling, but I'm inexperienced with microphones and studio monitors. My gut feeling was probably telling me to pick the most aesthetic products, not necessarily the most reasonable.

I will check out REAPER, but I am pretty set on Logic Pro. I have a somewhat naive attraction to Apple products.

if it works for you, then it isn't really naive. it's just a good idea to keep an eye and an ear open to whats out there, you may someday find something that fits your needs better.

but i do feel what you have chosen so far is a good set for what your doing. I'd say go with it.
Old 5th September 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameal View Post
if it works for you, then it isn't really naive. it's just a good idea to keep an eye and an ear open to whats out there, you may someday find something that fits your needs better.

but i do feel what you have chosen so far is a good set for what your doing. I'd say go with it.
Thanks.

Any more suggestions? =]

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search