The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Looking for feedback on my current setup Keyboard Controllers
Old 4th September 2011
Here for the gear

Looking for feedback on my current setup

Hi everyone,

This is my first post.

I started recording music with PCs many years ago. Everything has been pretty much experimental, nothing really theoretical and in fact my knowledge about music theory is very poor. However I do it all by good hearing and I've seem to manage it very well and I believe I'm getting decent recordings.

Lately I've used my acoustic electric guitar connected to my USB interface. I generally record the guitar first, making sure any EQ is disabled in my guitar and PC. Then I record vocals using a very cheap Sony microphone, also plugged in to the interface After that I usually add some effects using my Oxygen49 MIDI controller, mix it, export it and add a cool effect to my final Wave file using Adobe Audition and iZotope Ozone Multiband Dynamics. Btw, I use Ableton Live for all my analog and digital recordings.

As a monitor, I use the guitar's amp, which is a Crate 15W acoustic amp. When I'm done I also plug in a pair of big Sony headphones to make sure it sounds good on headphones.

My doubts are as follows:
1. I am not sure if I should get a better microphone. I mean this cheap mic I have does the job as far as I'm concerned, but I hear ppl talking about these condenser mics all the time.
2. Should I keep using my guitar's amp as a monitor?
3. Is iZotope Ozone a good tool to use for mastering the way I'm using it?
4. I'm planning on switching to MAC soon. Is the built in Garage Band better than Ableton Live?

Side question: how can I turn my acoustic electric guitar to sound similar to a real electric guitar? I've seen some artists doing that. Is there a good distortion pedal for acoustic electric guitars or something?
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

1. If your mic is pleasing you, then that is all that matters. So many engineers are using mics that they r unsatisfied with, so count yourself. Lucky one. You may actually find that a good condenser mic adds issues to your set up. ie. It requires phantom power, it can also highlight your rooms problems.

2. A guitar amp is certainly not high end. Monitors would be better, but if cash is an issue, then a home high-fi would be a better choice. Get to know them and check your result on other systems.

3. A multi band comp can be useful for finalizing, but can also be dangerous if you do not use it correctly. Get those crossover points just right.

4. I would not say that GarageBand is better than Ableton. I do not have much experience with either, but you just need to pick a DAW and go for it. You will eventually work ou want you want for your own workflow. I personally use ProTools HD, but that is the only DAW that suits my personal workflow.

Hope that is helpful, good luck.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search