The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Do These Vocals Sound off-key? Plugin Bundles
Old 4th September 2011
Gear Addict

Do These Vocals Sound off-key?

The mix is not final at all. Just looking for some opinions outside my circle of friends. This is a project I'm working on for TBTM.
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by vierge99 View Post

The mix is not final at all. Just looking for some opinions outside my circle of friends. This is a project I'm working on for TBTM.
Yeah they are.....do you have autotune handy go in and manually shift them honestly melodyne would be ideal for this project and ease up on the reverb
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Addict

Yes.
Old 6th September 2011
Here for the gear

No offense meant

But it doesn't really sound like there is a key.

Then again, I'm just a drummer.

If using autotune, you'd probably have to sequence the whole melody. Normally I'd work with the singer &/or songwriter to double-check the melody and try to get a cleaner take if at all possible.

It depends on what the singer is trying to do and what he's capable of... if it's supposed to sound like then, well, hey, mission accomplished. If it's not, but dude can't sing, well, correct the pitch.
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Head

yes, Id say re-record and try to add some tone to the vocals.
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Addict

Yeah, Melodyne would help...as would some major de-essing and less reverb...ESPECIALLY post de-essing. Hurt my ears. Could use more warmth.
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear
Tell who ever is frying bacon in the background to stop it while you are tracking
Old 9th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manfrensengensen View Post
Tell who ever is frying bacon in the background to stop it while you are tracking
Lol! I find the promise of crispy pork products helps inspire singers to deliver a better standard of performance.

Seriously though, I've heard worse vocals than this, I don't think the tuning problems are that bad. Personally, I wouldn't suggest bothering with Autotune right now, I think it's much more beneficial for a singer to put in the hard work of practising their delivery rather than papering over the cracks with software.

The singer should get his arse down to the woodshed and practice, practice, practice. The amount of time spent in rehearsal is always reflected in the quality of the performance.

Put in a good few hours of honest practice and come back and re-track the vocal, I guarantee you'll see an improvement.

Also, remember to make sure the singer can hear himself properly whilst performing. In my experience of recording my own vocals I've found my pitch is much better when I remove one headphone so I can hear the sound of my voice in the room.

Stuart.
Old 9th September 2011
RTR
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manfrensengensen View Post
+1000, was bugging the hell out of me! So was the reverb..Way to much imo!
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search