The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Track 'Speeding Up' Issue. Desktop Synthesizers
Old 3rd September 2011
Here for the gear

Track 'Speeding Up' Issue.

Okay, so I know I'm a total newbie to this.

This is my first time recording drums and I'm running into a strange issue. After a few hours of tracking drums, I will record a take and the drummer will play it right in time with the click. However, after I stop recording and go to play it back, the track is sped up about 2 bpm so that it is completely off from the click.

I looked into it online thinking it was something to do with latency issues, but from my understanding that would cause a track to a) lag and b) not affect the speed of the take.

I'm running my mics through a Presonus Firestudio to Logic Pro 9 on my 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro. If you have an idea of what's going on or need more information about my problem/setup, let me know.

So what's going on here and how do I fix it?

Also, thanks for bearing with my stupidity.
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

Is it a consistent 2 BPM? If the track is sped up, then the BPM of the click should increase as the track plays, but if it is a consistent 2 BPM off, then that's latency. Basically the time it takes for the sound to go through the mic, pre, and conversion before being recorded into the DAW. Have you tried aligning the first beat exactly to the click?

Then again, the drummer may not be playing as close to the click as you may think.
Old 10th September 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insomniaclown View Post
Is it a consistent 2 BPM? If the track is sped up, then the BPM of the click should increase as the track plays, but if it is a consistent 2 BPM off, then that's latency. Basically the time it takes for the sound to go through the mic, pre, and conversion before being recorded into the DAW. Have you tried aligning the first beat exactly to the click?

Then again, the drummer may not be playing as close to the click as you may think.

I've tried aligning the first beat exactly to the click and the recording reaches the end of a sixteen bar phrase about a beat and a half before the click does. Upon closer inspection, it's not only affecting the speed of the recording, but also the pitch. For some reason it's speeding up and raising the pitch of the take.
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

You may be recording @ 44.1k but playing back @ 48k.
Old 10th September 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ears2thesky View Post
You may be recording @ 44.1k but playing back @ 48k.
Okay, please explain to me what that would do, and also how I would check to see if that is the case. Thanks
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

You need to check hardware and software settings making sure that all are set the same. Without knowing what all of your hardware is and which DAW you're using, it would be hard to say exactly how to do this.
If you're using Reaper or something else with a vari-speed function make sure it's set at zero pitch change (1.0 in Reaper).
Old 13th September 2011
The sample rate you record at should be the sample rate you playback at. I suspect ears2thesky called it correctly.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search