The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How much is protools? need new DAW Audio Interfaces
Old 2nd September 2011
  #1
Gear Head
 

How much is protools? need new DAW

So. I'm new to this whole music thing lately. I used to do my recording by a cheap USB microphone into Magix. Well I decided I wanted to better my sound and quality. I went out and got the MXL Genesis and the Edioral UA-25ex Preamp. It sounds amazing. But all the DAWS I have suck for recording! I have asked what programs are good for recording before and I keep getting all these different DAW'S thrown at me.. I need some recommendations. I also hear you can insert FL studio as a VST into other software?.. That would be awesome since I want to continue making my beats In FL studio until I become familiar with another program.. So if anybody could let me know some great DAW'S that are good for Vocals with some nice effects and what not cause I currently record in FL studio and it sucks! It takes to much work Mixing, Mastering and all that in FL studio and it isn't worth my time vocals wise.. So what DAW'S are good? can I link FL studio into that DAW? How does that work?

And last but not least.. How much is Pro Tools? I looked up pro tools 9.. I get priced ranges anywhere from like $100 to like $2000.. I don't know which one to get or the actual price of this damn software. Somebody help me! That would be great!
Old 2nd September 2011
  #2
Gear Head
 

You should be able to find ProTools 9 (full version) for somewhere around $600, and you can find it bundled with the MBox Pro for somewhere under $1000

But what I would suggest is going to YouTube and watching some tutorials on Pro Tools, Cubase, and Sonar and see which one makes the most sense to you and has the features you want before you spend the cash.

Good Luck
Old 3rd September 2011
  #3
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanpants View Post
You should be able to find ProTools 9 (full version) for somewhere around $600, and you can find it bundled with the MBox Pro for somewhere under $1000

But what I would suggest is going to YouTube and watching some tutorials on Pro Tools, Cubase, and Sonar and see which one makes the most sense to you and has the features you want before you spend the cash.

Good Luck
Wow.. $1000. You got to be five finger F***ing me. That is crazy! There has to be something good or decent for around $200 for a home studio? I liked Magix Music Maker for the fact you can drag and drop.. But recording with a good Mic and Preamp it crashes all the time and mixing and mastering in that program sucks.. I hear a bunch of names for good Daws. Non of them I am to sure about however.
Old 3rd September 2011
  #4
Here for the gear
 

Pro tools 9 is $600.00 and you can use it with any interface. Are you recording only yourself and or are you planning on getting into editing at all? Also what type of music do you record?
Old 3rd September 2011
  #5
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessem166 View Post
So. I'm new to this whole music thing lately. I used to do my recording by a cheap USB microphone into Magix. Well I decided I wanted to better my sound and quality. I went out and got the MXL Genesis and the Edioral UA-25ex Preamp. It sounds amazing. But all the DAWS I have suck for recording! I have asked what programs are good for recording before and I keep getting all these different DAW'S thrown at me.. I need some recommendations. I also hear you can insert FL studio as a VST into other software?.. That would be awesome since I want to continue making my beats In FL studio until I become familiar with another program.. So if anybody could let me know some great DAW'S that are good for Vocals with some nice effects and what not cause I currently record in FL studio and it sucks! It takes to much work Mixing, Mastering and all that in FL studio and it isn't worth my time vocals wise.. So what DAW'S are good? can I link FL studio into that DAW? How does that work?

And last but not least.. How much is Pro Tools? I looked up pro tools 9.. I get priced ranges anywhere from like $100 to like $2000.. I don't know which one to get or the actual price of this damn software. Somebody help me! That would be great!
get sonar x1c
use emu0404 if you dont liek the x25
Old 3rd September 2011
  #6
Gear Addict
 

There are plenty of options at different price points. You don't need Pro Tools to record, it's a premium product for a premium price. It would be crazy to buy it if you're on a tight budget and you don't need it's advanced features. It's not crazy if it's how you make your living.

You're right that you can get something good for $200, You can even get reaper for $60 with their discounted license or of course Garageband is free if you own a mac. There are so many great cheap audio tools these days.
Old 3rd September 2011
  #7
You can get started with ProTools M-Powered and an M-Audio interface for much less money. About $450 would get you ProTools M-Powered 9 and a Fast Track Ultra with four mic preamps. About $220 for the ProTools software alone.
Old 3rd September 2011
  #8
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakecaram View Post
Are you recording only yourself and or are you planning on getting into editing at all? Also what type of music do you record?
I am recording only myself yes. As possibly a few other people but we never record at the same time with different mics or anything like that it's all done in different takes.

If editing you mean by eq, mix, mastering. All that fun stuff then yes. It just seems like some programs you tend to have to do more of that for some reason then others. So I'm trying to find a good DAW that may limit that. And we mainly record Hip-Hop & Rap vocals.
Old 3rd September 2011
  #9
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaczac View Post
There are plenty of options at different price points. You don't need Pro Tools to record, it's a premium product for a premium price. It would be crazy to buy it if you're on a tight budget and you don't need it's advanced features. It's not crazy if it's how you make your living.

You're right that you can get something good for $200, You can even get reaper for $60 with their discounted license or of course Garageband is free if you own a mac. There are so many great cheap audio tools these days.

Yea I hear ya. Your right with the tight budget thing, It's not how I make my living just some spare cash. And garage band won't work I'm using a PC. I've always been interested in logic but that won't work either.. I've heard of Reaper but not aware of how vocals are with reaper. I'm just mainly looking for a good program targeted mainly at vocal recording as I use Fl to do the rest. Vocals just don't do the deed in FL. Which is a bummer cause I like the idea of being able to record my vocals, then be able to just work the beat around my vocals and do some adjusting. Makes it easier.. I've found Fl studio is just not a good program for vocals unless you want to work to no end trying to muster it to a decent sound.
Old 3rd September 2011
  #10
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg B View Post
You can get started with ProTools M-Powered and an M-Audio interface for much less money. About $450 would get you ProTools M-Powered 9 and a Fast Track Ultra with four mic preamps. About $220 for the ProTools software alone.
$220 for the protools software alone? I thought that price range was just for an upgrade? and isn't the M-box required with pro tools? I imagine the if I just buy pro tools at $220 I'm going to be missing something required for it to work?
Old 3rd September 2011
  #11
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessem166 View Post
$220 for the protools software alone? I thought that price range was just for an upgrade? and isn't the M-box required with pro tools? I imagine the if I just buy pro tools at $220 I'm going to be missing something required for it to work?
You don't need an mbox for Pro Tools 9... you don't even need an interface to run it. M-Powered does need an M-Audio interface though though, and M-Powered is much more limited than the standard version.
Old 3rd September 2011
  #12
Lives for gear
 
savyurrecords's Avatar
 

The only way to really know is to try a few. Most have demos that you can at least get your feet wet with.
For PC (in no particular order)
Cubase
Sony Acid/Vegas
Sonar
Reaper (Great value, huge customization, demo is uncrippled)
Samplitude
Ableton Live

I am sure I am missing a few but those are the big ones. I use Ableton Live to compose and Reaper to mix basically. You are best off downloading a few demos and seeing what works for you.

Oh, by the way, the program itself will not give you better sound it will give you a different(maybe better) workflow, that with experience will give you a better sound.
Old 3rd September 2011
  #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessem166 View Post
$220 for the protools software alone? I thought that price range was just for an upgrade? and isn't the M-box required with pro tools? I imagine the if I just buy pro tools at $220 I'm going to be missing something required for it to work?
ProTools M-Powered is a version of ProTools specifically made for M-Audio interfaces. It's been around since version 7. It does most of what ProTools 9 will do, and is a great way to get started with ProTools for significantly less money. The full version can be purchased for around $220 and then you can use any M-Audio interface with it (ranging anywhere from $100 to $1000). Based on what you're saying, a Fast Track Pro and ProTools M-Powered would be a good place to start if you don't need more than a couple microphones at a time. You can PM me or give me a call if you'd like more details.
Old 4th September 2011
  #14
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessem166 View Post
I've heard of Reaper but not aware of how vocals are with reaper. I'm just mainly looking for a good program targeted mainly at vocal recording as I use Fl to do the rest. Vocals just don't do the deed in FL.
A DAW doesn't affect sound in any way. It's your mix, your plugins, your work. The only way DAW could possibly play a role in affecting sound is the plugins included with the DAW. But the majority of those plugins can (and usually will) be ignored in choice of a 3rd party plugin. And most other plugins, like compressors, or EQ, will be found in any DAW and are all pretty equal.

I suggest dropping money on some new microphones or high quality plugs before getting a new DAW and expecting any difference aside from workflow. Stay in FL, or if you need something new, I'm putting my vote in for Reaper. If you really want to switch DAWs, go ahead, but it will only cchange your productivity, not the audio quality.
Old 4th September 2011
  #15
Lives for gear
 

Also, keep in mind it takes time and effort to learn a DAW and get the best out of it so it's really worth having a close look to the different contenders and getting the one which fits your workflow better.
Your DAW may be your most durable investment.
A.
Old 4th September 2011
  #16
Gear Nut
 
Insain's Avatar
Get REAPER.
Old 6th September 2011
  #17
Gear Head
 

I'm a relative newbie. I love working on Reaper. You can try it for free and then pay something like $40 or $60. Learning curve is steep for a couple of weeks. The sounds are good. Lots of free plugins, etc.
Old 6th September 2011
  #18
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessem166 View Post
Wow.. $1000. You got to be five finger F***ing me. That is crazy! There has to be something good or decent for around $200 for a home studio? I liked Magix Music Maker for the fact you can drag and drop.. But recording with a good Mic and Preamp it crashes all the time and mixing and mastering in that program sucks.. I hear a bunch of names for good Daws. Non of them I am to sure about however.

Sorry, I wasn't trying to tell you to buy Pro Tools, I was just telling you how much it costs. If you're trying to stay under the PT budget, I would suggest Reaper (DAW) with something along the lines of a PreSonus AudioBox or something similar for your interface.

Just my opinion, btw.
Old 8th September 2011
  #19
Here for the gear
 

Presonus Studio One is a great DAW! It gets great reviews from users, magazines, and me. And it's easy to use. And it's half price right now. You can try a demo for free.
Old 8th September 2011
  #20
cough cough...I'm selling my pro tools 7.4 license...cough cough...and the serial number that came with my old fast track pro that was toasted...cough cough...which can be used to crossgrade to pro tools 9...cough cough and come out to 475 instead of 600....

or if you have an m audio interface you can just run 7.4
Old 7th October 2011
  #21
Gear Head
 
Robert Toolgreen's Avatar
 

DAW is a DAW. none of them are better when it comes to quality.
make sure to find a DAW that works best for you and it's work flow is easy for you.
I personally love FL for it's ease of use and friendly interface. didn't like it before (FL 5.6.7 and 8) cause it wasn't pattern based but now is really good.
specially the mixer has improved allot APDC(automatic plugin delay compensation ) and bigger peak meters made it standard and piano roll with it's riff machine is a killer
but as I've said it's good for my taste.
for example I work with my friend Thomas and he uses Ableton live and he says that he loves the interface of ableton.
all we have to do is exchange multitracks or split tracks.
my suggestion for u is to download the demos of each DAW and see what works for you.
good luck
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump