The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Just Getting Started... Audio Interfaces
Old 2nd September 2011
Here for the gear

Just Getting Started...

Hey everybody, i'm about to sound like a dumbass and i apologize.

I'm running Pro Tools 9 on a Dell Studio 15 (piece o' **** computer) along with an M-Audio fast track ultra, a couple of m-audio CX 8 monitors, and an AT2020 Cardioid Condenser microphone. If i'm wanting to pursue a career in audio production (more so for film editing), how should i go about expanding what i already have? Any input is appreciated, thanks guys.

Zsnyd1
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

Welcome!

You will need money, lots of money. Start figuring out a plan for that. Learn how to be stingy, save up cash and make wise purchases of high quality gear. Prepare to make sacrifices in order to own really nice equipment. Know that the field you're interested in working in is hard, and very tight, filled with other quick and talented folk. Don't despair, but be prepared for an uphill fight.

You have gear, albeit low end stuff, so start recording something. Write a song, do a podcast, record a concert, a band, whatever.

You're interested in film production? You'll need to learn how to make your own boom rig, and a dead cat, which you can do on the cheap. Bam! You have a boom rig! Isn't that interface bus powered? You could bring your lappy out as a mobile recorder and do location audio. Find a friend who wants to make a movie, and offer to do the sound. Start making youtube movies. Make a parody trailer for a movie that doesn't exist. Whatever, just dive into it. You have enough gear right now to do any of the things I've mentioned. Are you already lurking the post production forum? Have you read the incredible stickies there on working in post in the real world?
The references alone are enough reading material for a month.

Start schooling yourself on the basics of audio, especially the technical stuff, which can be a productive side job. Skilled audio repair techs are always in demand. You need money to buy gear, remember?

I guess the question is, if you're interested in a career in audio production, then what are you doing about it? Have you got any projects in mind? Done anything yet with that rig?
Old 12th September 2011
Here for the gear

Thanks for the tips! Although i'm not sure what a "boom rig" or "dead cat" is. Can you explain those terms to me?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search