The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
MD421N only capturing handling noise
Old 1st September 2011
Here for the gear

MD421N only capturing handling noise

Hi,

I´m a newbie here and I´ve searched for an apropriate thread for this question, so I hope this is the one. If not, I´m deeply sorry

So I have a wonderful Sennheiser MD421N (the old bright grey one, with a DIN - midi like - 3 pin connector), no scrathes, nothing broken, even the coulour is still nice and shiny.

It used to work fine (I´ve only tried it when I was buying it and I think, once after that and it did work fine. Then, I´ve put it in a box and left it for a few months without even touching it. Today, I wanted to use it but.... :(

When I connect it via a DIN to XLR reduction (which worked on this one, and works on other vintage DIN mics I have; I´ve tried over 5 reductions) it only captures handling noise (tapping on the grill, scratching the connector with fingernail etc.) but it doesn´t capture normal sound comming onto the coil.

Also the roll-off works (I can hear noise decreasing and increasing when I turn the wheel.

This did confuse me a bit, because I know, that there is a MD421 version with a different pinout than standard. As it turns out, it´s not the one I have. So it´s connected properly.

Also I´ve heard that connecting this old model to a preamp with phantom power on could damage the mic (but I´m 95 percent shure this did not happen) but also, that destroyed coil / capsule is very unlikely since this old fella is nearly immortal :D

So what could be wrong? A wire? Capsule?

Thank you for any advice.
With regards.
D.K.

EDIT: ok. so I´ve pulled it appart gently and looks like one wire was unsoldered (there are 3 going to the module)
Thing is I forgot, after unsoldering the other two, which one is which. Anyone ideas about the colours? :D There´s a brown, black and sort-of-a green one comming from the capsule.

EDIT: ok no.2 :D so the black one is gnd and the other two match with the ones on connector.
so if your mic does not work, try this first. I´m so glad it wasn´t the capsule. The cables are in a bad way after nearly 50 years.

Last edited by deekay; 2nd September 2011 at 12:30 AM.. Reason: update:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search