The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
question on preamp inserts??? Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 1st September 2011
Here for the gear

question on preamp inserts???

Hey...i was wondering if anyone could tell me the benifits of having inserts on my preamp? i have a fmr really nice pre and i understand that you can insert things like compressors in to the chain after the pre and before the converter but what would be the difference in just adding the compressor after the converter via after the regular outputs on the pre??? do you get better sound using the inserts!?!? Also what kind of connections or cables do i need to insert my arts vla2 compressor in to the chain? is this even possible?? ive read that you need a trs cable for the insert but how would i hook up the other end of the cable?? i mean to what connections on my compressor.

Im also reading on the fmr site about inserting the fmr really nice compressor...this can be sny compressor right...meaning the inserts weren't specifically made for the fmr compressor only?? please help me understand the issue a bit better. Im always trying to better my recordings!
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

because it is the first that came up, here is what the trs cable looks like

Monster Cable MSLSRM StudioLink TRS Stereo to Dual Mono 14 Insert Cable Assorted Lengths | Sam Ash Music 1-800-4-SAMASH

Basically, it is stereo on one end (the end that goes into the RNP) and splits to two mono plugs.

for your art compressor you could use the one above or one like this: Pro Co IPTBQXFXM5 (5') | Sweetwater.com

Why use an insert... I cannot answer, but I can tell you it is not to have it before the converter in the RNP, because the RNP does not have a converter.

The insert is wide open, not just for FMR gear. I have used my inserts with all types of gear.
Old 2nd September 2011
Here for the gear

So what is your reason then for using the compressor with an insert as to daisy chaining it?
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewGuY2 View Post
So what is your reason then for using the compressor with an insert as to daisy chaining it?
In the case of the RNP, because by coming back to the RNP, the signal will be balanced before going on to the next step in the chain. This can be any unbalanced gear, not just another FMR product. As jdier mentioned, you may need a TRS to 2x TS cable if the gear has TS ins and outs.

On a channel strip with an output gain or fader the difference between the insert and putting the device after the strip output is that in the first case what affects the compressor will be pre-fader.
Old 3rd September 2011
The best explanation of the answer to your question is still found in one of the simpler Mackie Mixer owners' manuals. See here: http://www.mackie.com/pdf/1402vlzpro_om.pdf

page 12 starts talking about effects (compressors, EQ & reverb) page 13 has diagrams which easily explain how an insert cable differs from a direct out "patch" cable and when you should use them.

Part of your question is answered too, about when to daisy chain and when to side chain the dry signal and the effected (wet) signal.

You can connect any analog (non-digital) compressor or EQ to your FMR PRE in the way they suggest as long as you have the right cables.

Start thinking of three-conductor (tip, ring & shield) as balanced and not stereo and two-conductor (tip & shield) as unbalanced and not mono. The same cable can serve both needs but balanced and unbalanced is not an obvious concept and you need to get your head round common mode rejection so you can mix and match connections. Like mono input to reverb but stereo return, +4 and -10 in/outs and the 6dB loss switching from balanced to unbalanced. Mackie & Soundcraft write good manuals

Moulded cables are not your friends, because you can't open them up for a quick look to see which pin is connected to which wire. Once you see what goes where, it all becomes easier to understand and to track shorts/breaks with a little multimeter. Then you buy a soldering iron....
good luck and call FMR, they're very nice answering questions and the RNC is an excellent bit of gear found in downtown as well as suburban studios.
rgds
WalterT

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search