The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Compression Dynamic Microphones
Old 1st September 2011
Gear Head

Compression

Hi Gearslutz,

I'm in the process of building a home-studio, will post pics at a later stage. It's in a relatively small room in a basement with a very low ceiling, and I have no idea what I'm doing.

Basically I'm into electro and kind of experimental electronic music, don't know what genre I should place myself in. I use mainly analog synthesizers, both analog and digital drummachines, and also samples, and whenever necessary digital synths.

For effects I only use plugins.

What I want is to have more control over the sound that my units make, and I also have to say I hate mixing and doing things with a mouse, it kills my flow completely. So my questions are:

1. What would you recommend me to check out in terms of eq? Is there any point in investing in analog eq, or a mixer? Or is it just best that I stick to my DAW? Any suggestions and info is great

2. I use a lot of compression, specially side-chaining bass and synth from my drums. I would love to get an analog compression, or at least hardware, but I have no idea where to start looking, there is just so much out there. I need to side-chain with it, and I also need to be able to have dramatic control, I don't know if plugins are more capable of extreme settings?

3. At times I record some guitar (I have a telecaster, and VOX ac30 amp, and use Shure sm58 mic). And I also do some vocals, and record other sounds as well, like claps and such. What should I think about when I want to start isolating my studio? Is it enough to just put up some egg cartons, or is that just a dumb idea?

4. Reverb. What kind of reverb should I look into?

As I said, i'm into electronic music, and in terms of sound I'm inspired by Autechre, Kangding Ray, Com Truise, loads of 70s 80s synth bands, Depeche Mode, Aphex Twin, and so forth. So the more I can experiment with the gear the better, and I'm looking for stuff that I can really push in terms of extreme settings.
Old 2nd September 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by slashno View Post
Hi Gearslutz,

I'm in the process of building a home-studio, will post pics at a later stage. It's in a relatively small room in a basement with a very low ceiling, and I have no idea what I'm doing.

Basically I'm into electro and kind of experimental electronic music, don't know what genre I should place myself in. I use mainly analog synthesizers, both analog and digital drummachines, and also samples, and whenever necessary digital synths.

For effects I only use plugins.

What I want is to have more control over the sound that my units make, and I also have to say I hate mixing and doing things with a mouse, it kills my flow completely. So my questions are:

1. What would you recommend me to check out in terms of eq? Is there any point in investing in analog eq, or a mixer? Or is it just best that I stick to my DAW? Any suggestions and info is great

2. I use a lot of compression, specially side-chaining bass and synth from my drums. I would love to get an analog compression, or at least hardware, but I have no idea where to start looking, there is just so much out there. I need to side-chain with it, and I also need to be able to have dramatic control, I don't know if plugins are more capable of extreme settings?

3. At times I record some guitar (I have a telecaster, and VOX ac30 amp, and use Shure sm58 mic). And I also do some vocals, and record other sounds as well, like claps and such. What should I think about when I want to start isolating my studio? Is it enough to just put up some egg cartons, or is that just a dumb idea?

4. Reverb. What kind of reverb should I look into?

As I said, i'm into electronic music, and in terms of sound I'm inspired by Autechre, Kangding Ray, Com Truise, loads of 70s 80s synth bands, Depeche Mode, Aphex Twin, and so forth. So the more I can experiment with the gear the better, and I'm looking for stuff that I can really push in terms of extreme settings.
1> Stick to DAW. Unless you are wanting to spend lots of money for a small amount of gain, if any. However, it can be useful for eq-ing on the way in, thus committing to a sound.

2> Generally analog compressors are more favourable at extreme settings. But there is nothing wrong with plugins, and they have lot of advantages. Cheaper, more than one at a time, recallable..

3>Egg cartons don't isolate at all. They don't treat in a good way either, and will only make your room more boxy sounding. Look through the acoustics subforum here on gearslutz. Note that isolating is not the same thing as treating. Isolating stops sound getting in and out of your studio, and it is very hard and expensive to do. Treatment on the other hand makes the room sound better (or it should!), and is not so expensive.

4> Try some plugins. Your DAW probably came with some reverbs too.

Matt
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search